• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (19 Viewers)

An interesting take on oils Mike. I had no idea you came to acrylics from watercolor. My last abstract painting was all done in oil after many years with acrylic. But then I had a large studio. Now I'm painting at home and think the fumes would just be too much to live with, much as I do like them.

That weeklong drying time is something else isn't it?! I think maybe I'm lucky that I can't paint in oils right now. I rarely have the patience let a watercolor wash dry, let alone a film of oil.

Got me thinking about where I've come from and where I'm going.

From colour pencil to watercolour to acrylic... To oil?

Mike

Attachments

• little-owl-study-(cpencil).jpg
    little-owl-study-(cpencil).jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 44
  • marchdet.jpg
    marchdet.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 43
  • Portrait-series_little-owl.jpg
    Portrait-series_little-owl.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 42
  • oililowl.jpg
    oililowl.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 41
On the subject of little owls, I spent a while with one this weekend. Other sketches of yellow wags and swallow.

Mike

Attachments

• lilowl1.jpg
    lilowl1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 35
  • lilowls2.jpg
    lilowls2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 37
  • lilowls3.jpg
    lilowls3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 33
  • lilowls4.jpg
    lilowls4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 33
  • lilowls5.jpg
    lilowls5.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 36
OK, so here are the wags and swallow...

Mike

Attachments

• yellowags1.jpg
    yellowags1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 30
  • yellowag2.jpg
    yellowag2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 30
  • yellowag3.jpg
    yellowag3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
  • swallow1.jpg
    swallow1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 42
Mike, I love your "owl progressions" in the various media. I must say, the colored pencil work has a delicacy the others don't possess. And, of course, I'm partial to watercolor, but the acrylic and oil works are outstanding, too! Well done!

Cheers all!

The dipping of toes in oil continues...

This has been a bit more of a struggle I'll admit. I've learned just how easy it is to create 'Plasticine brown' with oil paints. I didn't have a plan going into this either, just made it up as I went along. The bird is obviously from a photo of a captive bird and the cliff is pretty generic but this wasn't about creating art or even a nice picture, this was purely about testing the waters with oils again. So there's still a long way to go but I'm feeling a little more comfortable with them now and I remain optimistic that eventually I'll crack 'em!

Mike

Attachments

• perecliff.jpg
    perecliff.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 80
Cheers all!

The dipping of toes in oil continues...

Mike

well done - looks like you are a long way up the oily learning curve!

just personally I find Peregrines (and Woodcock, to be topical) absolutely unforgiving to paint

because if you get the contouring and the body shades right, then it can still all go wrong as you have to lay those horizontal bars across flanks and wing coverts and get the bars to follow the overall shape and the light

and if you get them right as you have, still there's the pale crescents around the wing coverts to be done and all balanced up

well done - looks like you are a long way up the oily learning curve!

Looks good Mike and it seems like oils are giving you no problem at all. We've had nesting peregrines in a church steeple just blocks from where I live for last couple months but I've had very few chances to go look for them. Now that weather has cooled I might give it a try but I fear that they all may be gone by now. Unfortunately they were just a bit too high to see well even with binoculars.

Cracking work with the oils. I've never dabbled with them as I'm too impatient to wait for them to dry and the best I managed paint-wise was acrylics.
As Ed said, Peregrines and Woodcock ain't easy. I've got a stack of abandoned Woodcock paintings knocking about somewhere...

Thanks All, I'm carrying on for now, despite the challenges.

I'm overhauling my website at the mo and I've got a links page to populate so if anyone here would like to be included in that let me know (here or pm) and we can get a bit of reciprocal linking going on!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back