• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere Portrait of a Bird Reserve (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I’ve just been looking back at a thread from 2010 with the same title that I posted about the same book I bought when it first came out in the 1970’s writen by Bert Axcel and Eric Hoskins. I had ordered that book direct frok the RSPB weeks before publication day and when I received that book, I had a big surprise with my copy of Minsmere Portrait of a Bird Reserve with the signatures of Bert Axcell and Eric Hoskins. I’ve seen that, that I’ve got in my home with the signed copies of that book selling onlinE are being sold second hand now at around £40.00 plus. And to prove I’ve got a signed copy of that book which I bought at the time from the RSPB here below are the two signatures. Also on my first visit to Minsmere in the 1970’s, Minsmere had a small Heronry at that time nesting and breeding in the feed beds. Not now sadly. But there are a few other places in the UK at present that do have Herons nesting/breeding in the reed beds instead of trees. Also below the of buying a second hand copy without the signatures is below £10.00. But the signed copies that you can find occssionly seem to selling for around £40.00. When ordered my copy of Minsmere
portrait of a bird reserve before publication day, when it arrived with the signatures of BerT Axel and Eric Hoskin it was such a nice surprise. But I had know idea until the last few days at what price the signed copies where for at the online shops!
E912192F-C216-4419-8252-9CC24813F0B6.png76CC0044-4E36-495B-B6B8-4787F65DAFDB.pngEE2562F4-CDF7-470F-ADF0-253775BBF77D.png5AF2E511-D83D-4BF0-AA3A-EA0976F46EA6.png13FF3D2C-DEA5-45BA-A56B-CF08A0AB4585.png

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of 'collectible' often assigned by the hopeful seller.

As a bit of a collector myself, I know that any signature in a book, especially in a 'collectible', is often deemed vandalism by the purists and they are actually less sought after.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back