• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mirafra fasciolata jappi Traylor, 1962 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Mirafra fasciolata jappi Traylor, 1962 here
It gives me great pleasure to name this race for Mr. Richard Japp, Witwaterstrand Native Labor Association representative at Kalobo. not only did he help me plan my trip so that I was able to collect in all the different vegetation zones of the destrict, but he and his wife Hazel graciously opened their home to me for the duration of my stay.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims;
Eastern Clapper Lark ssp. Mirafra fasciolata jappi Traylor, 1962
Richard G. Japp (fl.1960–1969) was an amateur zoologist and and collector in Barotseland, Northern Rhodesia (Zambia). He was local representative of the Witwaterstrand Native Labour Association at Kalabo, Zambia, recruiting labourers for the South African gold mines. He and his wife Hazel were Traylor's (q.v.) hosts and helped him plan his trip. He also collected in Namibia (1969).

The Key to Scientific Names
Richard Japp (fl. 1960) collector in Rhodesia (= Zambia/Zimbabwe) (subsp. Mirafra apiata).

Probably Acontias jappi (BROADLEY, 1968) is also named for him. OD Broadley, D.G. 1968. A review of the African genus Typhlosaurus Wiegmann (Sauria: Scincidae). Arnoldia (Rhodesia) 3 (36): 1-20 (not seen).

No idea if a middle name with G. exists and what his life dates are. It might be solved here?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back