• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Misumena vatia? - Cyprus (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

A bit of a punt on this but the only yellow crab spider I can find in Cyprus is this one
Not sure about the oprunage spot though?

Could someone please ID?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5
No. Wrong shape. It's a Thomisus sp; probably T. onustus.
As always Aeshna5, you come up with the goods. There are 3 Thomisus sp. found in Cypress. Each seems to settle into a flower and change colour to match. Then capture prey when it lands.

Thomisus zyuzini which is only 2.75mm. My spider was comfortably larger.

Thomisus citrinellus - 5-7.3mm. This is possible but appears to be located in other areas of Cyprus and is far less common.

Lastly. Thomisus onustus - 7-10mm. This is far more common and appears to have been collected and observed across many areas of the island including further up the coast from Paphos, which is where I saw it.

Thanks again Aeshna5, G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back