• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

modern military binoculars (1 Viewer)

it has a reticule in the right eyepiece, which ideally I would like to remove. I am a bit hesitant as although I have stripped and cleaned Oberkochens before, there may be aspects of this Military version that could be more complex, anyone have an idea of difficulty? Bill ? Frank? .
I haven't worked on this bino so am not positive how the reticule is installed. It very well may be located at the base of the eyepiece tube in which case you would have to remove this tube in order to access the reticule. However, the tube may be a tight fit and well sealed so removal of it may be difficult. Once removed, though, the reticule should be easy to take out. If it is not at the base of the eyepiece tube you will have to remove the prism plate to access it. Note that depending on the refractive property of the reticule glass and its thickness removing it may affect eyepiece focus in some cases to such an extent that you will be unable to get infinity focus. If this happens (and you can't tell if it will unless you first remove the reticule to find out) you'd have to try to alter the depth of the objective lens or modify the eyepiece for increased negative adjustment to achieve infinity focus. Even if infinity focus is still possible after removal, removal could result in some degree of stagger, a situation where when an individual focus binocular is focused one eyepiece is significantly higher than the other. This is usually corrected by changing the depth of an objective lens.

Last edited:
Many thanks LPT , Bill and all, yep Bill, I did mean you Sir, well given the possible issues mentioned, I think I may leave it as is for now, if it irritates too much, I will give it a go, I was thinking of sending it away to get done, but i'm pretty careful and have the tools, if it causes focus problems it will have to go back in, i'm not keen on making other modifications to accomplish it. Joachim, it is not like the Hensoldt, it has a short body like the Oberkochen, it is just the rubber armour and eye cups make it look longer.

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back