• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monoculars - anyone use these things ? (1 Viewer)

Rufus1401

Wales
Hi all,
Anyone use monoculars ? They seem handy enough to carry about with you anywhere, as opposed to binoculars, so ideal for buses, train commutes or even walking with the missus. If anyone does use them, any suggestions. I’ve always wanted a Leica, and can afford the 8x20 monovid, but me thinks i could do better for the money.

For a long time I used a Vortex monocular. Indeed to carry around anywhere. But now I have a Kowa 8x25 that fits also in my pocket and which I prrefer now.

I occasionally carry a Minox Macroscope, but whilst it's good for close range observation I find monoculars a poor substitute for compact binoculars at any distance.

This isn’t a recommendation but to test your theory and the usability of a monocular you could try these relatively inexpensive models from the RSPB. Check the details, if I remember correctly RSPB optics have a quibble free 90 day return (with all the original packaging and receipt)

Hi all,
Anyone use monoculars ? They seem handy enough to carry about with you anywhere, as opposed to binoculars, so ideal for buses, train commutes or even walking with the missus. If anyone does use them, any suggestions. I’ve always wanted a Leica, and can afford the 8x20 monovid, but me thinks i could do better for the money.
Rufus1401,

The UV is a very nice monocular. I do slightly prefer tiny bins like the Nikon Mikron as mentioned by @Binocollector but they are not suitable for use with glasses whereas the UV has plenty of ER. Advantages of a monocular include no IPD or diopter adjustment necessary, e.g. , when sharing with "Her Imperial Majesty" ;). Courtesy of a friend and fellow forum member I have tried and compared the Zeiss 6x20B and Nikon 5x15. Both are excellent, smaller, lighter and less costly. Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

I have had a Zeiss 6x20B. Regret I sold it.
Long after that, I got a Vixen 6x21 ED.
Optically in par to the Zeiss I think (have not compared side by side) and with bigger FOV.
But much bulkier and it's easy to change focus accidently in the hand.
Then I got a Zeiss 5x10. Good sharpness but extremely small FOV, and the contrast is bad because of glossy innertube. It is useful but probably the most overpriced optical instrument on the market already when I bought it. And the price has doubled since then.

A small monocular has its use because of the portability. It cannot be out of collimation like a bino, and you can hold it in your hand while walking around without making attention. No one see you hold a magnification device in the hand.
The drawback is that it's not as comfortable to use as a bino, and it's more difficult to hold steady. Therefore I think 6x is good for a monocular. And I am interested to take a look at Nikon 5x15, which is significantly smaller than the 6x models I have/had.

"Zeiss 6x20B and Nikon 5x15"
Both old technologies.
From Nikon site, "Prism features high-reflection silver coating". Silver coating?
On Amazon, the Nikon 5x15 is 747+ USD. More than Leica Monovid.
1701790033051.png

One eye will never deliver the vision of two eyes.
Well, our birding scopes are monocular devices, usually also with small exit pupils.
I'd love to have a Kowa Highlander but wouldn't want to carry it around!

Agree with Swedepat above that 6x is a sensible upper limit for hand-holding. I have both the 3x12 and 6x18 Zeiss monoculars. The former is a delightful piece of precision engineering and was probably intended as an aid for the visually impaired - reading street signs etc.
The 3x magnification though is too low for general use but both are good for observing insects and will focus down to about 20 cm and 25 cm respectively.
With fully extended objectives the magnification increases to about 4x and 9x.

John

Last edited:
The mini NIkons have great optics IMO. Fun to have around. I also have the Vixen 6x21 which is a great value, excellent optics. Much larger and bulkier.

Not a big fan of the monoculars though. It's harder to hold them steady than binoculars for me. Also the one-eyed view for some reason seems lower magnification than it really is. The 6x seems far less mag. than 7x, even though it's not. For these reasons I keep the Vixen HR 6x21 in the glove box of my car in case I see an incredibly rare bird or UFO landing or something while I"m out driving around with no binos....I actually tried to sell the Vixen and no one bought it, so it went back in the glove box....

Does anyone have the Pentax VM 6x21 btw? I always thought that one looked rather interesting.

Does anyone have the Pentax VM 6x21 btw?
Yes, I do. It‘s the only monocular I own that I can effortlessly hold and focus just with one hand, something quite useful when you need to hold on to something with your second hand (e.g. on a boat). The optics are not spectacular, but quite okay. The focussing mechanism needs a little bit of practice but then works great.

Hi all,
I regularly use a Hawke Endurance 8x42 monocular. Also use an Endurance 7x42. Both are small enough to fit in a jacket pocket and the views are very good. I often go birding late in the day and the 42mm is helpful when there's less light. I'm able to focus the 7x one-handed, which is a plus. The 8x is a little trickier, but I use it more often because of the extra reach.

An old B&L 6x30 lives in the console of my car. Very handy to have for those days I wish I'd brought binos along.

I've owned and used a Leica 8x20 Monovid for over a decade. I tried a couple from other proprietary brands (Opticron and Zeiss) before that but the Leica was where I happily settled. It just seemed to me to be streets ahead in terms of optical quality and mechanical construction.

I've been extremely pleased with it. I mainly carry it whilst out running but also often take it with me whilst cycling / driving / on the train / doing whatever for that 'just in case' moment. It's proved very robust and the optics remain splendid.

I personally found the supplied case too cumbersome, so keep and carry the Monovid in a zipped Zeiss monocular pouch that I purchased just for the job. The result is extremely compact and the Monovid well protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back