• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod For Binos (1 Viewer)

jeshely

Hello:

Can a light weight monopod be helpfull in the field for holding a heavy or high magnification binocular. I have a pair of porros (Audubon 8.5X.44mm) that I can hold for maybe a minute tops before needing a rest. I usually go on hikes and walks on parks or the beach. After I find a good spot I stay there for maybe 10-15 minutes and then move on to another spot and scan the views for another 10-15 minutes and so on. I have a light weight roof that I can hold for longer periods but the image is of lesser quality.

I thought that investing in a good, portable, light weight and high quality monopod might help with the Audubons so i could just hold the views for longer. Also if I get a 12X.51mm roof that I'm seriously considering the monopod might help with the steadiness. I would not mind the extra weight of the monopod. I have seen some good ones at around 1.5 pounds that can hold up to 9 pounds in weight.

What are your toughs on the usefulness of a monopod for this situation?

I never spent more than 30 seconds to look in one direction. It might become a distraction to have a monopod attached to the binoculars.

My late Dad used a monopod with bins due to angina. He got to be quite good at using the combination.
He couldn't use it when walking, although he used the collapsed monopod as a 'Finnstick' but when he sat down then it was a blessing for him as it relieved his arms of the weight of the bins.
With practice he got to be good enough to follow a flying bird, so long as there were no major aerial acrobatics.
From what he told me, I'd say you need a lightweight monopod, something that you can lift WITH the binoculars attached, so that if you do get a busy moving bird you can track it by lifting the monopod off the deck and moving before letting the monopod come to rest again in the new position.

Cheers Tero:t:, it's amazing how I can forget that what I know isn't known by everyone. I didn't even consider that Finnstick might be a problem, it's something I've known about for years.
My Dad really got on well with his monopod though, it helped him gain pleasure from his birding in the last few years of his life.

I found that when hiking, birding and bushwalking for hours, the arms do get tired irrespective of the bino I use. The heavier the bino, the quicker this happens and the higher the magnification the more pronounced the shakes are and interference with good viewing becomes. When birding for hours even if I use a 6x bino, I still experience minor shakes and a loss of viewing pleasure. I am not talking about the odd 20 minute, half hour viewing snack but rather longer birding sessions. I do however enjoy seeing birds bigger than 6x can provide, and I mean the bigger the better. Digressing a bit I have never met anyone in the field who prefers the smaller rather than bigger views of any bird - what they prefer is a better quality image and this is nearly always achieved by the lower magnifications. Although I loved using my 10x u/vid, the loss of quality due to hand shakes compromised my viewing experience, hence the obvious search for lower power. I nearly got rid of the bin but I persisted with it and 10x mag because I loved it so much, and this led to different combinations of monopod/supports solutions until I discovered what i consider the ultimate combination and best answer for me to the problem.

I now almost exclusively bird at 10x with a light Slik carbon fibre 'pro pod 381 cf' monopod and a Slik SBH-320 professional ball head. Attached to the ball head is the Leica bino adapter. The Slik ball head becomes an extension to the monopod and allows free movement and shake-reduced viewing to the point that by doing exercise and improving my fitness level, I have almost eliminated it. By replacing the Leica bino adapter and screwing other bino supports to the bottom of the ball head I believe that the combination will also work with a heavier bino. I have tried it on my WO 7x50 ED’s without a problem and the weight relief is second to none as the monopod pivots on the ground. Believe me your arms will appreciate it.

The monopod weighs approx 380 grams, the ball head 340 grams, the adapter 110 g. The set up weighs on 830 grams + the bino i use 695 g. At approx. 1.5 kg I have found this set up very useful and easy to carry by hand and the large steady views it provides worth it. The bino comes off the stand in a flash, the monopod has a strap that i loop over my belt in a sword like style enabling me to walk free unencumbered. I end up seeing more and enjoying the whole day much better.

Regards,

Wal

Attachments

• monopod and ball head.jpg
    monopod and ball head.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 176
  • mbh2.jpg
    mbh2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 168
  • mbh3.jpg
    mbh3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 156
  • mbh4.jpg
    mbh4.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 166
Hello Jeshely,

Yes, a monopod may be useful to steady views, even with a 12x50 binocular. I have such a binocular mounted on a monopod with a tilt head. I do not find it useful with a 15x60 binocular. The monopod should be long enough so that you can keep it vertical, even when you are looking well above the horizon.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I rarely use my 10X bins without at least a monopod. To me, any benefit gained from the larger image with 10X or above is lost due to shake when handheld. I do a pretty good job of picking the whole thing up to follow birds in flight, or viewing higher overhead than the pod would normally allow. A ball head would be nice but almost doubles the weight, so I do without it. I find that I can hold the bins steadier on the pod than I can handheld, even when I have to pick it up, and the foot is not on the ground.

how do you connect the binoculars to monopod, something like tripod adapter?
Hello NW,

For the 12x50 BA, I use the Leica adapter and a Bogen tilt head. I think that the usual "L" shaped adapter, which fits in a binocular's axle is too prone to vibrations, for binoculars of 10x or greater. The Leica adapter allows the binocular to be located for good stability, while some other adapters do not.

in this thread, I discuss the Cardoza, the Leica and a Nikon adapter.

I hope the above helps.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back