• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moravia in May (2 Viewers)

gus guthrie

gus guthrie
Looking to go to Olomouc in Czech Republic for 10 days in May, any information about birdwatching in that part of the country would be appreciated.
Will have transport and intend to travel a bit, hopefully to see my target birds ; Black Stork,Black Woodpecker & Hazel hen.
regards, gus

Hi Gus. I have an old friend called Joshka Chytil based near Olomouc and I could ask him if he will either guide you or at least give you some pointers. Black Stork and Woodpecker should be ok but Hazel hen are almost nomadic in the big hilly forests (although another friend did very unusually find a nest last year) and to see them requires luck as well as a good location. White backed woodies are not too far away into the border hills and some good owls too. Other things like red breasted flies might be interesting for you and in May there should be waders passing through.
Best of luck Den

Hi Gus. I have an old friend called Joshka Chytil based near Olomouc and I could ask him if he will either guide you or at least give you some pointers. Black Stork and Woodpecker should be ok but Hazel hen are almost nomadic in the big hilly forests (although another friend did very unusually find a nest last year) and to see them requires luck as well as a good location. White backed woodies are not too far away into the border hills and some good owls too. Other things like red breasted flies might be interesting for you and in May there should be waders passing through.
Best of luck Den

Many thanks for your reply Den, just saw your message on Tayside forum ! had almost given up on here.
I'm pretty flexible regarding when I go, easiest for me in May though. I did assume that might be the time to see most of the birds I'd like to see, although i;m told it will be harder to see Woodpeckers then.
Some advice from a local birder or a day out would be really good, it would be great to get some local advice.
many thanks, gus

Last edited:
Hi Gus, after the new year festivities and nearer the time I can maybe email you privately with more details. Wife (born in Prague) and I have the same dilemma as you every yéar - go in mid April for owls and woodpeckers or in May for returning summer nesters/more migrants. Depends a bit on the weather too of course. May with the blossom and buds and singing passerines can be spectacular. Not far from Olomouc there are some great wader spots too. Black Storks return after the Whites so you're risking it in April. Black Woodies should be impossible to miss - but to be sure take a CD or learn to whistle! To get a feel for what's around that area try googling 'birds cz pozorovani' and then click on 'pozorovani'. It's for the whole of Czecho but you can look at records from OL (obviously Olomouc area) and PR (Prerov) to start with. Latin names are given and the maps are usually with very accurate pointers - down to the bush if you go to the photo option. Are you going to Olomouc just for the birds because there are maybe better areas for the three you mention?
Good luck Den

Hi Gus, just looked at the website above and your hazel grouse (jerabek lesni) are recorded in 3 adjacent spots on Travneho hill in Beskydy area - maybe an hour's drive. If you were there now you could follow their tracks in the snow! A short drive to the south would give you close views of a white billed diver! The recordings are noted on the 28/12/12 page and would be worth noting on your map for a look in spring.

appreciate any help you can give Den, the date is not set in stone yet. am just assuming that mid-May would be a pretty good time to see most of the birds i'm keen to see.

Hi Gus, after the new year festivities and nearer the time I can maybe email you privately with more details. Wife (born in Prague) and I have the same dilemma as you every yéar - go in mid April for owls and woodpeckers or in May for returning summer nesters/more migrants. Depends a bit on the weather too of course. May with the blossom and buds and singing passerines can be spectacular. Not far from Olomouc there are some great wader spots too. Black Storks return after the Whites so you're risking it in April. Black Woodies should be impossible to miss - but to be sure take a CD or learn to whistle! To get a feel for what's around that area try googling 'birds cz pozorovani' and then click on 'pozorovani'. It's for the whole of Czecho but you can look at records from OL (obviously Olomouc area) and PR (Prerov) to start with. Latin names are given and the maps are usually with very accurate pointers - down to the bush if you go to the photo option. Are you going to Olomouc just for the birds because there are maybe better areas for the three you mention?
Good luck Den
Hi Den, the reason that i've picked Oloomouc is that I have friends who live there and i;m going to stay with them when I visit. there is an Ornithological society with a website my friends have contacted too.

Hi Gus - not being nosy about Olomouc just checking that you weren't foot loose and fancy free with regard to going anywhere in Cz. We have Black Stork nesting about 6 ks from our Cz village and maybe 5 pairs of Black Woodies around it. Hazel Hen 40 minutes drive but as said you have to be lucky and quiet to see them (unless you can follow their tracks in the snow!). Basically any hilly area with a good patch of beech trees (bukk) near your friends could give you black woodies (maybe red breasted flycatchers too) and things like red backed and great grey shrike, lesser spot woodpeckers, serin, black redstart, icterine, lesser whitethroat, nightingale and golden oriole are village birds. I'm going to email Joshka a bit nearer the time to get some up-to-date sites. I think you should have an exciting visit!

Hi Den, would really appreciate the help regarding sites and tips about birding there. Will not have a big budget but would certainly be interested in prices for a day or so guiding.

Hi Gus, I will ask Joshka what he suggests but one possibility is going out with some local birders. It is certainly worth chasing up the local website (orni club) you mentioned and I will do the same. The Beskydy hills are well watched (maybe start 60 miles from you) and is the best area for what you want. By coincidence today a syrian woodpecker was reported in the trees lining the big road (Svobody) through the middle of Olomouc. Yesterday white backed woodie was reported near a crossing point into Slovakia just south of the Beskydy hills natural park area about 70 miles from Olomouc. More pairs nest in the Beskydy (usually in the hilly beech patches especially where there are old trees on the ground)along with three toeds in the spruce fir tree bits (they like the bark beetles which are causing such problems near me in sumava). Black woodies like the beech too and also nest there. Ural owls nest along the border in Beskydy again old beech wood near water in the hills is best. They hunt the wet areas. Lots of Tengmalms (Boreal) and Pigmys in those hills too. Anywhere in CZecho if you see a quarry (preferably at least partly disused) you should look for Eagle owls or listen. When I'm looking in Cz I always use a CD player. It's really effective for owls and woodies but even for orioles and warblers. I use the 4 cd set of european songs by roche it is now in re print and costs maybe £27 from wildsounds. BTW, the Hazel hens I already told you of were reported from Beskydy and cds would definitely be useful in calling them out from the woods!

Hi Gus, I will ask Joshka what he suggests but one possibility is going out with some local birders. It is certainly worth chasing up the local website (orni club) you mentioned and I will do the same. The Beskydy hills are well watched (maybe start 60 miles from you) and is the best area for what you want. By coincidence today a syrian woodpecker was reported in the trees lining the big road (Svobody) through the middle of Olomouc. Yesterday white backed woodie was reported near a crossing point into Slovakia just south of the Beskydy hills natural park area about 70 miles from Olomouc. More pairs nest in the Beskydy (usually in the hilly beech patches especially where there are old trees on the ground)along with three toeds in the spruce fir tree bits (they like the bark beetles which are causing such problems near me in sumava). Black woodies like the beech too and also nest there. Ural owls nest along the border in Beskydy again old beech wood near water in the hills is best. They hunt the wet areas. Lots of Tengmalms (Boreal) and Pigmys in those hills too. Anywhere in CZecho if you see a quarry (preferably at least partly disused) you should look for Eagle owls or listen. When I'm looking in Cz I always use a CD player. It's really effective for owls and woodies but even for orioles and warblers. I use the 4 cd set of european songs by roche it is now in re print and costs maybe £27 from wildsounds. BTW, the Hazel hens I already told you of were reported from Beskydy and cds would definitely be useful in calling them out from the woods!

at the moment it looks like i'll be coming out from 27th May to 7th june.....have found a couple of really useful websites, one is similar to birdtrack here.....lots of great birds around Olomouc by the look of things.

Will also be in CZ mid May to early June staying in Vlcnov http://www.vlcnov.cz/english/. I'm trying to sort guide for couple of days specifically to see Tengmalm's Owl and Hazel Grouse. Obviously May is not the best time for these, but hope springs eternal. Of interest there are White-backed Woodpecker and reportedly Hazel Grouse at Holy Kopec http://mapcarta.com/18496810. Have seen former but not the latter here. Site is off E50 east of Brno.

Last edited:
Will also be in CZ mid May to early June staying in Vlcnov http://www.vlcnov.cz/english/. I'm trying to sort guide for couple of days specifically to see Tengmalm's Owl and Hazel Grouse. Obviously May is not the best time for these, but hope springs eternal. Of interest there are White-backed Woodpecker and reportedly Hazel Grouse at Holy Kopec http://mapcarta.com/18496810. Have seen former but not the latter here. Site is off E50 east of Brno.

there is also a very good website called Birds.cz which is the czech equivalent of birdtrack.
lots of very useful info.

First day in CZ, staying in Vlcnov. Morning walk produced many Tree Sparrow, cracking male R-b Shrike, singing Marsh Warbler doing a passable impression of Skylark amongst others, singing from a rape field. Icterine Warbler singing in the garden. Plethora of Serin and Black Redstart. Two Golden Oriole went unseen. Non-bird interest revealed itself in the shape of a Slow Worm and Swallowtail. Single male Marsh Harrier flying south over village this morning.

Two hours this morning around Vlcnov produced a Wryneck on territory, three Red-backed Shrike, a male Golden Oriole mobbing a male Sparrowhawk. Swifts seem to have arrived overnight, none yesterday, many overhead today. Frustration of the morning was a distant raptor, which looked rather Aquila-like but was too far off to do anything with. Two singing Icterine Warbler, one of which was competing with a Marsh Warbler, within 30 feet of each other. Lastly a Long-eared Owl vanished into streamside vegetation.

An hour in garden resulted in what was presumably yesterdays Aquila, flying south-west, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Czech tick. More mundane were a single White Stork north-east, and a calling Wryneck, in a different location to the bird yesterday.
An afternoon walk yesterday provided two singing Icterine Warbler, two male Red-backed Shrike, and pleasingly a group of nine Turtle Dove. Strangest site was a song flighting Fieldfare, first time I´ve seen this, three foot off the ground, wings spread, almost hovering, singing. Hope it impressed a female, certainly made me blink.

Evening stroll yesterday to the south of village, produced a pair of Syrian Woodpecker, noticeably softer call than GSW. Couple of calling Quail from cereal field.
Yesterdays Lesser Spotted Eagle became two today, presumably a pair, one bird visibly smaller. This hastened a quick walk to let the local naturalist know. Not sure on status of LSE in this area, although breeding occurs to the south around the Austrian border.
For visiting birders, found excellent site outlining nature reserves, written in Czech, but has scientific names for species. Link www.nature.hyperlink.cz

Now returned from trip to Slovakia, back to Vlcnov in CZ. Main interest today was a superb Spotted Flycatcher in the village, and a Grey Wagtail in the same area. Local Muskrat population has expanded by four, an adult with four kits streamside chomping through the vegetation.
Lesser Spotted Eagle was seen in the area in late April by local birder according to Czech recording site.
Trying a small wetland site tomorrow near Uhersky Brod.

Back home after a fantastic 12 days in Moravia, based in Olomouc. Can't thank enough the people who were kind enough to take me out with them and show me their beautiful country and birds.
Ended up with 131 species and 18 new ones for me, including Collared Flycatcher, Montagu's Harrier, Black Woodpecker and Penduline Tit.
Having the chance to go Ringing with the experts was certainly one of the highlights of my trip, hopefully i'll get the chance to return to this beautiful country before long.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back