• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Buntings in Eastern Mongolia, early September (1 Viewer)

__Mona__

Germany
Hi there,
maybe you can help me with the following two bunting individuals.

1) This bird was seen on 2nd of September 2023 in Chalcha river valley in Dornod, East Mongolia. Unfortunately, I only got a few shots from this perspective, before the bird disappeared. I would assume it to be a Black-Faced or maybe a Little Bunting, but not sure, if identification is even possible based only on this one shot.
20230902_114121_Khal Gol_evtl Zwerg o Maskenammer_4295etc-4.jpg

2) This bunting was found in the same area on the following day, 3rd of September. I'm thinking about Black-Faced Bunting, just not sure with the autumn plumage.
20230903_081215_Khal Gol_evtl Maskenammer.jpg

Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• 20230903_081212_Khal Gol_evtl Maskenammer.jpg
    20230903_081212_Khal Gol_evtl Maskenammer.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
Sorry that you didn't get a reply to this post earlier.
First bird is tricky on this photo. From what can be seen of the pattern of the underparts and the head, I think it's a Little Bunting.
Second bird looks like a very worn juvenile Black-faced Bunting, in the process of body moult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back