• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Egyptian birds (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Hope that you can help me with these Egyptian birds the guide I brought in Egypt is very vague and not much help.

Attachments

• Raptor 5.jpg
    Raptor 5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 337
  • Shore birds.jpg
    Shore birds.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Wagtail.jpg
    Wagtail.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Blue Chest 1.jpg
    Blue Chest 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Sinai bird.jpg
    Sinai bird.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 239
pic 1 - I really don't know... (maybe a kite species?)
pic 2 - Spur-winged Plover and maybe a Spotted Redshank
pic 3 - White Wagtail
pic 4 - Bluethroat
pic 5 - Maybe a Pied Bushchat (but I think Egypt isn't in the distribution area of this species...) or more likely a Wheatear species unknown to me.

Last edited:
No 1 appears to have a white vent and pale throat...I'd go with Honey Buzzard even though it looks wrong (and I've never seen HB on ground so...)

Cheers!

Dimitris

1st is again a Buzzard sp. Look at pale undertail coverts, pale face and so on...wich species is nearly impossible from this pic only.

ciao
Michele

Agree with Lou on all. 1st is deffo a Black Kite and not a Honey Buzzard.

They do look for wasp/bee larvae, but in the middle of a golfcourse?

Sean

Any chance of a closer crop on the raptor grounded on the 9th?
Don't Black Kites have shorter legs than the bird in question?

http://www.birding.in/birds/Ciconiiformes/Accipitridae/black_kite.htm

http://www.highwaycsl.com/Travel/Tanzania/Ngorongoro/PicnicBlackKitePortrait.jpg

Where as Honey Buzzard has a longer shank.
http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/honey-buzzard:pernis-apivorus-photo-271.html

Not sure either way, but i would certainly like to see a decent quality close up. It does seem to show a grey head with contrasting white throat...

Honey Buzzards, by the way, eat a lot more than larvae. On migration and when newly arrived in Britain, they'll take frogs, lizards, worms etc.

Agree with Lou on all. 1st is deffo a Black Kite and not a Honey Buzzard.

They do look for wasp/bee larvae, but in the middle of a golfcourse?

Sean

Honey Buzzards roosting on the ground was quite a common sight when I was in Israel a few years back. Hence I wouldn't be too surprised to see them on a golf course.....

Honey Buzzards have short tarsi (it is even mentioned in Forsman's guide), the tibia might be longer, but so is it on Black Kites too. The tarsi of the Egyptian bird look a bit longish for HB:

http://www.ivnvechtplassen.org/ivn_vogels_park_bos/Wespendief_Pernis-apivorus.jpg

The pale head and dark body fits better Black Kite than HB, and I think that even the notch in the tail is also visible (well, at least of you use a bit of imagination...). IMO the bird hasn't a white vent, but it is instead the white bases of the primaries of the left ving that form the white patch.

Last edited:
my gut reaction for the hawk was a pale/dark chanting goshawk. I don't know if either of these are found in egpyt. Where abouts in egypt was this picture taken?

I'd still like to see a better quality close up, if at all possible. I'm not saying it isn't a black kite, but i can still see the grey head and white throat of a male Honey Buzzard and I can see as much of a white speckled breast as you can see a tail fork, CAU ;) I've attached a crop of the picture with the levels altered to make things stand out a bit more.

The white at the rear end may indeed be the underside of the primaries rather than the vent, but that can fit Honey Buzzard better than western Black Kite. Of course, this could be an eastern bird, and i'm not very familiar with juvenile Yellow-billed.

The only thing that does make me think black kite more is the apparent positioning of the tail tip-wing tip. Black kites tend to reach the tail tip, which this does seem to. However, its an odd posture. Hopefully Greg will give us a better quality photo and you can prove me wrong.

Attachments

• Raptor%205.jpg
    Raptor%205.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 194
I understand very well what Paul says here. In fact, I can't pass some suggestions of white markings to the trousers and to the lower breast and belly. A bit higher up to the breast, I am not taking this feature any more for sure. Lightblurr.
So the sofware on the bird might find me favour HB but this hardware (the legs) is still a bit harder for my subjective gut and indeed the posibility of Yellow-billed Kite might explain the pale suggestions on the softparts.
Afterall, I am merely 'fusing' rather then 'positive identifying'

I'd still like to see a better quality close up, if at all possible. I'm not saying it isn't a black kite, but i can still see the grey head and white throat of a male Honey Buzzard and I can see as much of a white speckled breast as you can see a tail fork, CAU ;) I've attached a crop of the picture with the levels altered to make things stand out a bit more.

Ok, I see what you mean, and actually the posture looks a bit better for HB, when I think about it. I think that the colour of the breast a bit hard to see, because the backlight makes the contours of the bird shiny. But yes, the fork on the tail is absolutely also disputable. The feathers on the legs look uniformly dark, which would be somewhat rare for an adult male HB with a white throat (but they do vary). So maybe it is best to leave the bird unidentified (or perhaps someone with greater knowledge can id it?).

Hey Paul

I am aware that they eat more than larvae. I just thought it was an unusal place to see a Honey Buzzard.

I have seen Black Kites on the ground countless times out in the open. Black-eared Kites often sit out on the golf-course here in Hiroshima.

They have a jizz not dissimilar to the bird in the photo.

I have seldom seen Honey Buzzard on the ground in such an open space.

Having said all that I can see why you think it might be a Honey Buzzard.

Guess we will have to wait and see if Grey can provide another photo.

Sean

Any chance of a closer crop on the raptor grounded on the 9th?
Don't Black Kites have shorter legs than the bird in question?

http://www.birding.in/birds/Ciconiiformes/Accipitridae/black_kite.htm

http://www.highwaycsl.com/Travel/Tanzania/Ngorongoro/PicnicBlackKitePortrait.jpg

Where as Honey Buzzard has a longer shank.
http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/honey-buzzard:pernis-apivorus-photo-271.html

Not sure either way, but i would certainly like to see a decent quality close up. It does seem to show a grey head with contrasting white throat...

Honey Buzzards, by the way, eat a lot more than larvae. On migration and when newly arrived in Britain, they'll take frogs, lizards, worms etc.

Hi Greg 1) A few have said how long the legs look on this bird is it to easy to go for Long-legged Buzzard ? Just a Thought 2) Left Spur-winged Lapwing * Right Spotted Redshank 3) White Wagtail 4) Bluethroat 5) White-crowned Black Wheatear * Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back