• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Florida birds (1 Viewer)

chris8030

1. Apollo Beach
IMG_4139.jpg

2. Delray Beach
IMG_3528.jpg

3. Titusville
IMG_3302.jpg

4. Titusville
IMG_3240.jpg

5. Everglades NP
IMG_3988.jpg

1. Spotted Sandpiper
2. Boat-tailed Grackle
3. Lesser Yellowlegs
4. Not sure but possibly a juvenile of one of the larger terns
5. Red-shouldered Hawk

1. Spotted Sandpiper in basic plumage
2. Boat-billed Grackle, female
3. Greater Yellowlegs
4. Laughing Gull
5. Red-shouldered Hawk

I'm struggling to see number 4 as a gull. The shortness of the tail seems at odds with any gull I can think of but is okay for a juvenile large tern.

Bit rude, wasn't it. Which is why I already deleted it. My apologies.
More fully...
Consider: underwing pattern; bulky body; bill shape (such as it's visible); bill pattern. All of these seem gull-like rather than tern-like.

Bit rude, wasn't it. Which is why I already deleted it. My apologies.
More fully...
Consider: underwing pattern; bulky body; bill shape (such as it's visible); bill pattern. All of these seem gull-like rather than tern-like.

Okay - well, I did say I thought it was a big tern so maybe the bulk isn't such an issue. To me it seems quite front heavy with a very short tail. I must admit that I'm finding it hard to fit the plumage to any terns, but I don't have any books with me at the moment. It's possible that the weird angle is throwing me but I'm still struggling to see it as a gull.

I'm sure if there are any other pictures (even fuzzy ones) then they might make it a bit easier for us all to figure it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back