• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco again! Guelmim, Agadir and Oukaimeden (2 Viewers)

simmojunior

Back from another very successful trip to Morocco with 3 friends. Despite feeling a bit ill the whole time, managed to get all 6 of my potential lifers. After going from Marrakech to Merzouga last year, this time we flew to Agadir before heading south towards Guelmim before finishing at Oukaimeden for a second attempt at the finches and the owls. My ebird trip report is here: https://ebird.org/tripreport/209753

Attachments

• Bald Ibis 3.JPG
    Bald Ibis 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • Crested Lark.JPG
    Crested Lark.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • GG Shrike 5.JPG
    GG Shrike 5.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Moussiers 2.JPG
    Moussiers 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • RN Nightjar 3.JPG
    RN Nightjar 3.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Tristram's Warbler.JPG
    Tristram's Warbler.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • White-crowned Wheatear 2.JPG
    White-crowned Wheatear 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Crimson-winged Finch 2.JPG
    Crimson-winged Finch 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
It seems quite common for Morocco to induce illness :)-.

How easy were the Tchagra's Simmo? Did you get harassed at Sous- Massa to pay an entrance fee?

I'm going from Brum-Agadir in April, 2 nights accommodation and car hire coming to £190 in all, just for the Tchagra's at Sous-Massa, hopefully by the famous bridge or nearby. Plain Martin also. Then just up into the hills to get better views possibly of Tristram's Warbler. Maybe down to get Bald Ibis. All in a day.

Last edited:
I have looked at the eBird report and put a qualified yes, but will offer my own thoughts.

Tchagra territories are all along the river from Ifantar to the sea. They were certainly present last weekend before this crew went on 2nd. But they weren't particularly responsive for us. From previous years they become more responsive during March and can be particularly active by early April even song flighting by the river.

For me the best place is the entrance road to the reserve from 30.043, -9.644 towards the Eco -museum parking area. Plenty of other things along this walk including Plain Martin. Normally you are not hassled to pay, except at the gate to Eco-museum parking. (I have never seen the Eco museum itself open btw)

I have looked at the eBird report and put a qualified yes, but will offer my own thoughts.

Tchagra territories are all along the river from Ifantar to the sea. They were certainly present last weekend before this crew went on 2nd. But they weren't particularly responsive for us. From previous years they become more responsive during March and can be particularly active by early April even song flighting by the river.

For me the best place is the entrance road to the reserve from 30.043, -9.644 towards the Eco -museum parking area. Plenty of other things along this walk including Plain Martin. Normally you are not hassled to pay, except at the gate to Eco-museum parking. (I have never seen the Eco museum itself open btw)
Brilliant, as I am dedicating the whole day if necessary, to them, I should connect.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Back from another very successful trip to Morocco with 3 friends. Despite feeling a bit ill the whole time, managed to get all 6 of my potential lifers. After going from Marrakech to Merzouga last year, this time we flew to Agadir before heading south towards Guelmim before finishing at Oukaimeden for a second attempt at the finches and the owls. My ebird trip report is here: https://ebird.org/tripreport/209753
Awesome bald ibis shots and great report. Was this independent or with guides? Been meaning to do a Morocco trip for ages

Brilliant, as I am dedicating the whole day if necessary, to them, I should connect.
Thank you!
Yes, by Eco Museum parking area in the morning was best. The only fee we had to pay was to be shown the roosting Nightjar. Plain Martin was more tricky but we tracked them down by the river maybe 2km from Palmeriae de Massa.

Awesome bald ibis shots and great report. Was this independent or with guides? Been meaning to do a Morocco trip for ages
Independently. All information is readily available on here or on ebird. A guide is not required except in Merzouga where you need a 4x4 to drive in the desert.

Thx Simmo. So presumably you can virtually drive up to (but not past) the Sous-Massa Ecomuseum? No sign at Souss Massa of all the guides trying to charge you for access, which is good news.

I do wonder whether Desert Sparrow and African Desert Warbler can be found independently in Merzouga?

Thx Simmo. So presumably you can virtually drive up to (but not past) the Sous-Massa Ecomuseum? No sign at Souss Massa of all the guides trying to charge you for access, which is good news.

I do wonder whether Desert Sparrow and African Desert Warbler can be found independently in Merzouga?
Yes, no charge for parking by the Eco Museum. Road is shut past there but you can walk.

We found Desert Sparrow independently. It was singing on my tent! I think Egyptian Nightjar would be the really tricky one.

Attachments

• DSCN6376.JPG
    DSCN6376.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 8

I have found both without a guide in the past, but the Sparrow is being out competed by House Sparrow and is in low numbers, mostly around certain small holdings that need permission to enter.

Desert Warbler is suffering from the on going drought (6 years in & counting) which has all but destroyed the Halfa grass that it relies on. Of the sites I know c50% have been abandoned in the last couple of years alone. Most areas for this species. are sandy and really need a 4x4 to access so a guide is still the best and time efficient way to find them.

I have found both without a guide in the past, but the Sparrow is being out competed by House Sparrow and is in low numbers, mostly around certain small holdings that need permission to enter.

Desert Warbler is suffering from the on going drought (6 years in & counting) which has all but destroyed the Halfa grass that it relies on. Of the sites I know c50% have been abandoned in the last couple of years alone. Most areas for this species. are sandy and really need a 4x4 to access so a guide is still the best and time efficient way to find them.
Great but sad info.
Cheers.

That's useful info, cheers. Last time I was there a good few years ago, there was not just Dayet Srij, but also a nice lake at the edge of the dunes just near Cafe Yasmina.

Do you know just how extensive the lack of rainfall is? Eg Draa Valley, Aousserd, reservoirs?.. At least one (Barrage el Mansour) looks much reduced in aerial pics and is clearly receding.

Last edited:
That's useful info, cheers. Last time I was there a good few years ago, there was not just Dayet Srij, but also a nice lake at the edge of the dunes just near Cafe Yasmina.

Do you know just how extensive the lack of rainfall is? Eg Draa Valley, Aousserd, reservoirs?.. At least one (Barrage el Mansour) looks much reduced and is clearly receding.
In general the whole country is in the sixth year of drought.

Dayet Srij has been dry since spring 2020, when it was only a few puddles anyway. No other lakes have any water. There was no rain this winter only odd showers. The Halfa has degraded to the point that it is no longer binding sand and therefore more free dunes are being blown around.

No meaningful rain in the Draa either. Bear in mind the river flow is controlled via a series of dams, firstly in the High Atlas and then Barrage el Mansour. They are not releasing any water downstream at the moment so the river bed is dry. It makes sense to hold water as high as possible to reduce evaporation losses. Certainly the Barrage is as low as I have ever seen it.

The reservoirs are normally recharged by snow melt. At the end of Feb the snow edge was at c3500m and very light above that. There was a snowfall in the first days of March but it was light (big dump around Ifrane in the Middle Atlas).Unless more snow falls it will be another dry year

Some towns are bringing in water restrictions with Public supplies cut off for some hours. I know Taroudant has already done so but not sure about other places

I have no information about Aousserd, but there is nothing to suggest it is any different.

From a Birding perspective, my early spring visit hit all the species likely and in respect of pure numbers, diversity was a bit better than normal even if numbers were lower

There were some oddities - cuckoo c4-6 weeks early but no bee-eaters at all.

Still worth visiting but it is a bit harder work now. Probably will only get worse in the short term

In general the whole country is in the sixth year of drought.

Dayet Srij has been dry since spring 2020, when it was only a few puddles anyway. No other lakes have any water. There was no rain this winter only odd showers. The Halfa has degraded to the point that it is no longer binding sand and therefore more free dunes are being blown around.

No meaningful rain in the Draa either. Bear in mind the river flow is controlled via a series of dams, firstly in the High Atlas and then Barrage el Mansour. They are not releasing any water downstream at the moment so the river bed is dry. It makes sense to hold water as high as possible to reduce evaporation losses. Certainly the Barrage is as low as I have ever seen it.

The reservoirs are normally recharged by snow melt. At the end of Feb the snow edge was at c3500m and very light above that. There was a snowfall in the first days of March but it was light (big dump around Ifrane in the Middle Atlas).Unless more snow falls it will be another dry year

Some towns are bringing in water restrictions with Public supplies cut off for some hours. I know Taroudant has already done so but not sure about other places

I have no information about Aousserd, but there is nothing to suggest it is any different.

From a Birding perspective, my early spring visit hit all the species likely and in respect of pure numbers, diversity was a bit better than normal even if numbers were lower

There were some oddities - cuckoo c4-6 weeks early but no bee-eaters at all.

Still worth visiting but it is a bit harder work now. Probably will only get worse in the short term
Many thanks, that's really useful info. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back