• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of May (1 Viewer)

Tri-Counties Birder

AKA The Portland Naturalist
Well, I think the deafening quiet on here is a good sign of the appaling weather we've been having. Looks like we're in for slightly warmer weather soon. Lets hope it does the business.

It was a bit warmer yesterday, so I thought I would run the trap for the first time since March (ensuring the rain guard was in place!). Best was the garden tick of Swallow Prominent (here with a Lesser). More details on the blog.

Attachments

• swallowproms.jpg
    swallowproms.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 88
Spent two weeks at Holme Marsh NR and trapped when the weather allowed but the catch yields were nothing short of a joke! Taking into account the habitat and quite a few humid nights it was an appalling fortnight.

This was the sum total of species trapped:

Shuttle-shaped Dart
Hebrew Character
Least Black Arches
Scalloped Hazel
Mottled Pug
Double-striped Pug
Clouded Drab
Epiphyas postvittana
Flame Shoulder
Waved Umber
Common Quaker (very battered!)

Just about passing double figures...beat that for two weeks of mediocrity!

That's one (or two) good things i suppose Brian but i know what i would prefer! although i guess from my semi-nocturnal habits that only our electric bill would benefit lol.

The weather here has been terrible too. Lots of rain, wind and cold temperatures. Not much in my trap today but I found a female Emperor Moth in there, and a male Emperor had hatched during the night. I have never seen a male before, it's a lot smaller than I expected!

Attachments

• Emperor Moth.JPG
    Emperor Moth.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 85
Not put the trap out yet this month, and not many moths have been coming to my bedroom light! Only a Garden Carpet and 2 Brown House Moth so far

I managed to get my portable trap out and about earlier on in the month. Only had singles of hebrew character, purple thorn and this for ID please.

Agree numbers are way down on what they usually are. Although my neighbour taking to leaving their security light on all night probably isn't helping my MV trap.

Adam

Attachments

• 08-05-2012 252 [800x600].jpg
    08-05-2012 252 [800x600].jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 74
Put the moth trap out last night in hope more than anything, only 1 Hebrew character and also a micro that I've not identified yet.

I trapped twice in April and got a single Hebrew Character each time.

Last night I tried again. Eight moths, all different, one escaped, a carpet of some kind I think. The others were:

Spectacle
Swallow Prominent
Hebrew Character
Early Grey
Scalloped Hazel
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Muslin Moth

Spectacle and Scalloped Hazel were new for the garden.

Lewis

I managed to get my portable trap out and about earlier on in the month. Only had singles of hebrew character, purple thorn and this for ID please.

Agree numbers are way down on what they usually are. Although my neighbour taking to leaving their security light on all night probably isn't helping my MV trap.

Adam

Could do with a size. Think it might be Early Tooth-striped.

Ran my MV last night for the first time this year, as there was a fair amount of cloud cover, (and almost warm-ish). Admittedly I overslept till 7am...however the haul was just two Brimstones!

Will run the more economical UV tonight..and keep everything x'd.

I'm not having much luck with the trap recently but have been recording a number of species by day, or by 'dusking' - just wandering around my local patch with a net late afternoon or early evening.

So far I have recorded:

Dichrorampha acuminatana
Dichrorampha plumbagana
Grapholita compositella
Plutella xylostella
Plutella porrectella
Bucculatrix nigricomella
Elachista argentella
Glyphipterix fuscoviridella
Cochylis nana

Mines of Coleophora serratella

Cabera exanthemata

Martin

Ran my trap for the first time last weekend and had 8 months and then last night again and a bit of improvement:
Silver Y x2
Shuttle-shaped Dart x3
Early Grey x2
Muslin x1
Brimstone x2
Spectacled x1
Garden Carpet x2
Plain Pug x1
Willow Beauty x3
Flame Shoulder x1
Waved Umbar x2
Yellow-barred Brindle x3
Spruce Carpet x2
Turnip x1
Hebrew Character x1
Small Argent&Sable x1
Light Brown Apple x1
2 as yet to be identified micros

hoping to improve on this.

At last! More than two Hebrew Characters. Only just better with Barred Umber, Spectacle, Green Carpet, Sandy Carpet, Iron Prominent, Brimstone and WHite Ermine.
Looking good for tonight shall put the portable under some flowering hawthorn?

The increase in temperature (finally!) last night brought out a host of carpets, with singles of Spruce (nfm), Flame, Silver Ground, Garden and Common in the trap this morning, along with Hebrew Character, Light Brown Apple Moth, Golden Rod Pug and 2 Common Pug

I'm going for it tonight! I have tried a couple of times this year with nothing but a few Hebrew Characters etc. Here's hoping...

Andy M.

And the results weren't quite as pleasing as I'd hoped:

Brimstone - 1
SSD - 3
Yellow-barred Brindle - 1
Garden Carpet - 1
Common Pug - 1

Andy M.

Last edited:
11 moths in the trap this morning:
Lime Hawkmoth o:D my first ever
Yellow Barred Brindle (nfm - thanks Sean)
Scalloped Hazel (nfg)
3 Flame Shoulder
Flame Carpet
2 Dark Barred Twin Spot Carpet
Garden Carpet

DSC_0511.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back