• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Scrymgeour … ? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Let´s take a look at another long-forgotten scientific name … and a ditto bird:

scrymgeouri
● … in the invalid "Psophodes olivaceus scrymgeouri" MATHEWS 1912 a k a "Victorian Coachwhip-Bird"

Today's HBW Alive Key explains it as follows:
scrymgeouri
Eponym or toponym; no explanation given (Mathews 1912, Novitates Zool., 18 (3), 333) (syn. Psophodes olivaceus).
I think it is most likely an eponym!

The OD (here) has, as the Key tell us, no explanation nor any outspoken explanation whatsoever. The only thing we learn is that it is based on "No. 526 (pars)" [i.e. in parts of Psophodes crepitans] in Mathews's own Handlist of the Birds of Australia 1908 (published as a supplement to the Australian ornithological journal The Emu), here, which in its turn refers to:

• John Gould's Handbook of the Birds of Australia 1865, volume 1, page 312 (here)
• E. P. Ramsay's Tabular List of the Birds of Australia 1888, page. 7 (here)
• Archibald James Campbell's Nests and Eggs of Australian Birds (including the geographical distribution of the species and popular observations thereon) 1900, vol. 1, page 265 (here)
• Alfred North's Nests and Eggs of Birds found Breeding in Australia and Tasmania 1901, &c., vol. 1, page 336 (here)
• Robert Hall's Key to the Birds of Australia (with their geographical distribution) 1906, page 29 (here)

However nothing, none at all, is revealed (in any of those works) of any Mr. Scrymgeour! Not that I could find anyway.

Thereby, onwards … I´m simply speculating!

It could possibly commemorate a certain "James Scrymgeour", who collected bird specimens (and eggs) in down in Victoria in 1909. See links; here, and here (and most likely, the same, here; "J. Scrymgeour", a snake from 1935), which most likely is the same Mr. "J. T. Scrymgeour", member of the Australasian Ornithologists Union the same year.

However, I do not know if he´s equal of the New Zealander (of Scottish Origin), later (from 1908) Australian, and even later quite famous cattle-farmer James "Jim" Tindal Steuart [sic] Scrymgeour (1885–1965), from 1908 (onwards) of Callandoon North, a Sheep and Cattle Station at Goondiwindi, (later Warwick), Queensland. (here)

Curiously, the latter Mr. Scrymgeour (if not the same?!) got quite famous in Australia (after being blind in WW1), apparently still being able to tell the colour of cattle, simply by touching them … !?! Also see this Google snippet view, here.

Though I haven´t been able to find any traces that the latter (the farming) Mr. Scrymgeour was ever collecting natural specimens, had any interest in birds or if he ever went down South, to the State of Victoria. I thereby guess the answer is hidden somewhere (among so many other unexplained names) in the twelve volumes of Mathews's Birds of Australia (1912-1927). That´s as far as I get.

Anyone know, for sure, if he´s "our" guy, or if I´m barking up the wrong tree!?

Björn

PS. Note: There was also a printing company by the name of "Scrymgeour & Sons", in Adelaide, Victoria, (there´s apparently also a Printer in Glasgow, Scotland, by the same name; a "John Scrymgeour"), which certainly not, at least the former, should be excluded. However if he and/or they had any connections to Gregory Mathews I do not know. The only thing I assume we can say is that this scientific name is most likely an eponym, further than that … this far, is in the shades. If there is a place with the same, or similar, name is also unknown to me.
---

Last edited:
I have no information pertinent to Australia, but a bit of Googling confirms that "Scrymgeour" is an English surname, and particularly well-known in Scotland. (The first Earl of Dundee was a Scrymgeour, and so is the current Earl, though since the first earl died childless, the title passed [improperly, it appears] to other families for nine generations.)

It's an occupational surname, apparently derived from French roots meaning, roughly, "fencing-master". Hence, it's not a toponym (though there is always a chance of an Australian place being named after a Scottish person).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back