• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull in May, what to see and where? (1 Viewer)

Gramayr

Slightly barking..
Hi folks, been away for a while - but since this is the best place for birding info...

We're off to Mull in mid May, Dervaig area for a week. Hopefully will see some WT Eagles, saw one on Skye last year in midsummer at the Aros Experiance Portree - flying accross the harbour. Looking forward to seeing more, but wouldn't mind a few pointers on where to go. Will also be taking photos as I'm into photography.

Are there any hides that can be recomended?

Thanks, Rhys.

There's been a hide set up not too far from Dervaig (the one featured in some TV show with Simon King in it), though a bit distant for photography. We went last year in mid May and thoroughly enjoyed it. Call 01688302038 to book.

James

JWN Andrewes said:
There's been a hide set up not too far from Dervaig (the one featured in some TV show with Simon King in it), though a bit distant for photography. We went last year in mid May and thoroughly enjoyed it. Call 01688302038 to book.

James
Thanks, I take it the hide is privately owned - or is it just because of the numbers of people who want to use it?

I think you have to book in order to limit visitor numbers and avoid too much disturbance. Don't recall who actually runs or owns it.

James

Hi Rhys

I highly recommend the wildlife tours on Mull. I have been out with Island Encounters twice before. Richard is a superb guide and you can't beat a bit local knowledge. I'm sure Discover Mull Landrover tours are just as good and they are based in Dervaig. If you go on one of these tours, make it the begining of your weeks holiday, then you can revisit some of the sites on your own during the week. Here is a link for more details. http://www.mullbirds.com/ISLANDTOURS.html I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The usual caveat applies here: Do not reveal any WT Eagle sites (other than the RSPB watchpoint) on this forum! Also, many of the species to be seen on Mull (and in Scotland) are Shedule 1 species so you will need a licence to photograph them. If you disturb them you will certainly be fined and could end up in prison!

Maybe it is time the info on Birdforum is monitored by knowledgeble birders to remove reference to sensitive breeding species. We are being far too casual in giving this info out. Yes, the egg collectors know more than most birders and yes, the RSPB should be setting up more watchpoints for people who want to see Monty's Harriers, WT Eagles, Golden Eagles, Eagle Owls, etc, etc but until they do we MUST be more careful. It is not just egg collectors who are the problem: sensitive sites can become disturbed by birders (usually unintentionally) who these days seem to be lacking in any sort of fieldcraft. Gamekeepers are also a problem.

So, unless you KNOW the person asking the question, I suggest you keep SCHTUM (and this advice comes from someone who HATES suppression of bird info but it is getting out of hand)

FBF

Gramayr said:
Thanks, I take it the hide is privately owned - or is it just because of the numbers of people who want to use it?

The hide is setup on the forest track overlooking the nest site at the edge of Loch Frisa (not far from Dervaig) and is operated by the RSPB who arrange for tours into the hide from the opposite direction so as to minimise disturbance to the birds. It is part of the annual Mull Eagle Watch which allows as many people as possible to see the birds while causing minimal disturbance.

The last couple of years there has also been a CCTV setup on the nest with monitor in the hide but if the birds are as accomodating as previous years you should get a decent view of them with a good binocular and definately with a scope. I managed to get some half decent photographs last year using just a scope and a compact digital camera along with a steady hand (no digiscope mount).

One word of caution - Don't try to approach any of the nest sights directly, they are all monitored and the locals get VERY upset if anybody interferes with their Eagles.

It's well worth the trip. Also a high chance of seeing Goldies and if your lucky, Osprey, Hen Harrier and Merlin to name but a few.

Derek W

fatboyfat said:
The usual caveat applies here: Do not reveal any WT Eagle sites (other than the RSPB watchpoint) on this forum! Also, many of the species to be seen on Mull (and in Scotland) are Shedule 1 species so you will need a licence to photograph them. If you disturb them you will certainly be fined and could end up in prison!

Maybe it is time the info on Birdforum is monitored by knowledgeble birders to remove reference to sensitive breeding species. We are being far too casual in giving this info out. Yes, the egg collectors know more than most birders and yes, the RSPB should be setting up more watchpoints for people who want to see Monty's Harriers, WT Eagles, Golden Eagles, Eagle Owls, etc, etc but until they do we MUST be more careful. It is not just egg collectors who are the problem: sensitive sites can become disturbed by birders (usually unintentionally) who these days seem to be lacking in any sort of fieldcraft. Gamekeepers are also a problem.

So, unless you KNOW the person asking the question, I suggest you keep SCHTUM (and this advice comes from someone who HATES suppression of bird info but it is getting out of hand)

FBF

Well FatBoy,

Thank you for your timely reminder, I'm sure us mere underlings would not intentionally give away List 1 locations.

Possibly you'll put yourself up to be a Mod, as the present encumbants obviously aren't up to the task. Maybe a few lessons in fieldcraft from your good self would help us all become the birder you are. My I wish I was as good as you.

chris baker said:
Well FatBoy,

Thank you for your timely reminder, I'm sure us mere underlings would not intentionally give away List 1 locations.

Possibly you'll put yourself up to be a Mod, as the present encumbants obviously aren't up to the task. Maybe a few lessons in fieldcraft from your good self would help us all become the birder you are. My I wish I was as good as you.

Well said Chris! :clap:

Well, Chris and Vipers.

It is obvious you are the sort of people who will not give away Sched 1 sites, so give yourself a cheap round of applause.

Your snide comments suggest you think no-one has given away such info on these forums? I thought it sensible advice not to give away sensitive info unless you know the person involved but obviously I was wrong. These forums are clearly the place to spread news of breeding Montagu's harriers, white-tailed eagles, golden eagles, divers, eagle owls, wrynecks, bramblings, common rosefinches, etc, etc. NOT!

Perhaps Vipers could suggest another way of stopping this other than by a moderator(s) rather than posting rubbish clapping hands...

Finally, if you read my posting again, you will find I make no reference to me being a good birdwatcher, I was asking for someone who was to moderate the forum.

Safe Birding,
FBF

Just been reading through 'this' thread. I very much doubt I'll be going anywhere near nesting birds on purpose.
The photography I'm interested in is more landscape and still life, but I do carry a 400mm lens around with a 2x convertor just in case i see something interesting.
I can understand people getting shirty about those who wish to disturb sites, it is very irresponsible to say the least. While on Orkney last year we were walking around the Ring of Brodgar, there were signs to say keep out of the centre. I noticed a van had stopped and we were being watched. I thought it was some dodgy bloke - turned out to be an RSPB bod, great bloke called Raimond (Scotish development officer I think) gave us a few pointers on where to go, we met him a few times after that. He said there were nesting Curlew within the ring (which we'd noticed) unfortunatly they were laying but not hatching - there was some concern about this.
I'm not saying any comments were aimed at me regading photographing birds etc. and where sites are. I agree sites shouldn't be broadcast either - I'm just interested in public sites (both myself and my partner are members of the RSPB so we will be getting touch with the number provided for the hide near Dervaig - thanks for that). I've just emailed the RSPB for info as well.

Just as a note, I see a spotted crake is a cat 1 bird, does that make it illegal to photograph it? It's been shown on this forum a few times as it was seen at old moor I believe (I didn't have a camera at the time), or is it narrowed to on the nest only?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back