• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musciapa Flycatcher, Lake Kerkini- Greece- 22.09.2022 (1 Viewer)

Dimitris

Birdwatcher in Oz
Hello again,

Since people from the Swift thread wanted to dig their teeth into something else here you go.

This bird immediately struck me as being very pale and warm toned in the field. It has very limited streaking on the breast, flanks and warm toned above. It also appears to be short winged. Unfortunately I do not have images of the full wing. Before anyone shoots me I was aware of the split, but I never bothered reading the papers until after I saw this bird. I was not expecting to find a potential Balearic.

However, it does have an extensive warm wash to the flanks which is atypical of Balearic, the crown also does not appear to have enough white to give it a 'frosted' look.

These are all the images I have,

Cheers,

D.

Link to the paper:

Attachments

• Musciapa Sp..jpg
    Musciapa Sp..jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Musciapa Sp.-1.jpg
    Musciapa Sp.-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Musciapa Sp.-2.jpg
    Musciapa Sp.-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Musciapa Sp.-3.jpg
    Musciapa Sp.-3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Musciapa Sp.-5.jpg
    Musciapa Sp.-5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Seems that the forum ate one image.

Edit: I have emailed the authors of the paper. Will post their replies here with their permission.

Edit 2: Added an image of a typical Spotted from the same morning and close to this bird- its the bird sitting in the fig tree

Attachments

• Musciapa Sp.-4.jpg
    Musciapa Sp.-4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Alrighty,

Michelle has kindly responded to my question. It's an 'eastern' Spotted Flycatcher.

"Your bird is indeed a pale individual with whiteish underparts and reduced breast streaking. As you suggest, the forehead background colour is on the dark side for a balearica, if not too dark. I can’t judge properly wing length, but in more than one picture I can see the second primary P2 and this seems to be pretty long, just a tad shorter than the wing point, so ruling out balearica and tyrrhenica.
My best guess is that this spotted flycatcher comes from the eastern part of the species range, explaining the paler look."

I can put this to rest.

Thanking everyone who had a look.

D.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back