• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musophagidae (2 Viewers)

Hello,

I noticed that IOC has moved Ross's Turaco and Violet Turaco from the genus Musophaga to the genus Turaco.
The comment reads: "Move from Musophaga to Tauraco (Veron & Winney 2000; Dickinson & Christidis 2013). Retained in Musophaga in (Perktaş et al. 2020)."

With this change, the family Musophagidae is left without any species in the "type genus" so to speak.

Isn't there a rule giving priority to the genus that corresponds to the family name?

Thanks.
Gonçalo
Art. 40

Of course, IOC use their own taxonomy, different from other sources. E.g. me, I recognize the following genera : Tauraco, Proturacus, Menelikornis, Musophaga and Pseudopoetus

Gedeon, K., O. Jahn, and T. Töpfer (2022)
The taxonomic status of Crimson-crested Turaco Menelikornis (leucotis) donaldsoni
Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club 142: 343–353
doi: 10.25226/bboc.v142i3.2022.a7

White-cheeked Turaco Menelikornis (leucotis) leucotis and Crimson-crested Turaco M. (l.) donaldsoni have long been treated as conspecific. Because of the lack of data concerning their distribution and areas of potential geographical overlap, they have been considered to be parapatric at most. In 2019 and 2021, we conducted a field study that produced nearly 40 records of the two taxa. In the study area, which stretched 120 km north to south from the upper Shabelle Valley via the Oda and Bale Mts. to Harenna Forest, both leucotis and donaldsoni occurred. The presence of both taxa was recorded across c.50 km west to east, which indicates an area of range overlap of about 6,000 km^2. Sympatry between leucotis and donaldsoni, together with clear differences in morphology (mainly crest colour) as well as molecular evidence, strongly support treating them as different species.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back