• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Asia Taxonomy (1 Viewer)

Jon.Bryant

Just received Birding Asia Number 39 June 2023, which includes their Taxonomic Update.

The interesting points include the following

New Species
'Six years after the expedition that discovered and documented them (see Eaton et al. 2016a), Irtham et al. (2022) describe two birds species new to science from the Meratus Mountains, Kalimantan, Indonesia: Meratus White-eye Zosterops meratuensis and Meratus Jungle-flyctacher Cyornis kadayangensis.

Z.meratyensis is closely related to Lemon-bellied (Z.chloris) and Wakatobi White-eye (Z.flavissimus), but differs in much greener upperparts, a narrower supraloral line and darker underparts. A vocal analysis (vs chloris) show a difference, with birds having a 'shorter duration of phrase and higher average frequency'.

C.kadayangensis is recognised by IOC, Clements and BirdLife International, but Z.meratyensis does not appear to be currently recognised or in the IOC Diary.

Splits
Sangster et al. (2022c) used plumage patterns, acoustics and microchondrial DNA to assess Malay and Great Eared Nightjar - they argue that a congruence of genetic and vocal evidence supports the recognition of temminckii (Malay Eared Nightjar), macrotis, macropterus, and cerviniceps (all currently subspecies of Great Eared Nightjar). They also argue that despite being vocally and genetically inseparable from cerviniceps, jacobsoni also warrants species-level recognition on account of its distinctive plumage. The increase from 2 to 5 species is not currently recognised by IOC, Clements or BirdLife International, and not in the IOC Diary.

Wu et al. (2022a) used bioacoustic and morphometric data, combined with brood-parasite records and habitat partitioning information, to assess Brush Cuckoo (Cacomantis varioulosus) and propose that the species should be split into 5 species - three of these proposed species are named in the Birding Asia, as they occur in the region - Sunda Brush Cuckoo C.sepulcratis (Greater Sundas, west and central Lesser Sundas, Philippines), Sulawesi Brush Cuckoo C.virescens (Sulawesi and Sula archipelago) and Australian Brush Cuckoo C.variolosus). Again, this potential split is not current recognised by IOC, Clements or BirdLife International.

Sin et al. (2022) ignoring the mosiac mix of morphological characters that identify Common Paradise-kingfisher Tanysiptera galeata, consider that based on bioacoustic material the species should be split into six species - Obi Paradise-kingfisher T.obiensis, Rossel Paradise-kingfisher T.rosseliana, Papuan Paradise-kingfisher T.galeata, Halmahera Paradise-kingfisher T.margarethae, Morotai Paradise-kingfisher T.doris and Amboyona Paradise-kingfisher T.nais. Again, this proposal is currently not recognised by IOC, Clements or BirdLife International.

Jonsson et al. (2019) and Rheindt et al (2022) examined Dark-throated Oriole Oriolus xanthonotus in more detail using data on plumage, vocalisation and morphometrics, and recognise Ventriloquial Oriole O.consobrinus as a separate species. This proposal is already accepted by IOC, but not yet by Clements or BirdLife.

Wu et al. (2002b) published the most extensive genomic data on White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus) to date. Whereas the majority of the paper is dedicated to the undeniably concerning loss of genetic diversity in this complex, they also propose six species should be recognised - White-rumped Shama C.malabaricus, Sri Lankan Shama C.leggei, Kangean Shama C.nigricauda, White-crowned Shama C.stricklandi, Larwo Shama C.omissus and Maratua Shama C.barbouri. Again IOC, Clements and BirdLife International do not recognise this proposal.

Combining multilocus (cyt b and three nuclear introns), acoustic, plumage and morphometric analsysis, Wei et al. (2022b) compared all 11 taxa of the genus Tarsiger. The genetic analysis indicates greater divergence between cyanurus and albocoeruleus and between indicus and formosanus, than between other taxa. Qilian Bluetail T.albocoeruleus is therefore propsoed to be split from Red-flanked Bluetail T.cyanurus, and Taiwan Bush-robin T.formosanus from White-browed Bush-robin T.indicus. These splits are not recognised by IOC, Clements or BirdLife International and interesting the IOC and BirdLife International current do not even recognise albocoeruleus as a subspecies.

O Marcaigh et al. (2022) using genetic, acoustic and morphological evidence suggest that Olive-backed Sunbird Cinnyris jugularis should be split into six subspecies groups and that at least four of these probably deserve species rank. These are Garden Sunbird C.jugularis, Sahul Sunbird C.frenatus, Wakatobi Sunbird C.infrenatus and Ornate Sunbird C.ornatus. The split is currently not recognised by IOC, Clemements of BirdLife International, although IOC has posted an 8 way split in is diary on the 4th October and BirdLife International current recognise two species Olive-backed Sunbird and Rand's Sunbird C.indenburghi.

Support for previous arrangements

de Raad et al. (2022) using whole genome re-sequencing and morphometric data support the split of Eurasian Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes into Southern Nutcracker N.hemispilus and and Northern Nutcracker N.caryocatactes. So far this split has only been recognised by BirdLife International.

Kyyukov et al. (2022) has completed further genetic work, and acoustics to confirm the split of Oriental Magpie P.serica from Eurasian Magpie P.pica. The study also concluded that where hybridisation occurs there is 'dramatically decreased reproductive success'. At the moment BirdLife International is the only taxonomy not to recognise this split.

Possible splits
Maroon Oriole
O.trailli is tentatively split on genetics into three species - 1 O.t.trailli, 2 O.t.robinsoni, 3 O.t.nigellicauda and ardens. Silver Oriole O.mellianus is also confirmed as a valid species. The report however goes on to state that this division needs further support through genetic, ecological, morphological, behavioural and acoustic data. The split of Maroon Oriole is not recognised by IOC, Clements or BirdLife International.

Other species level changes are as per the main taxonomies.

Just thought this may be of interest, particularly for those visiting Asia, and particularly some of the remoter archipelagos.

Wu et al. (2002b) published the most extensive genomic data on White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus) to date. Whereas the majority of the paper is dedicated to the undeniably concerning loss of genetic diversity in this complex, they also propose six species should be recognised - White-rumped Shama C.malabaricus, Sri Lankan Shama C.leggei, Kangean Shama C.nigricauda, White-crowned Shama C.stricklandi, Larwo Shama C.omissus and Maratua Shama C.barbouri. Again IOC, Clements and BirdLife International do not recognise this proposal.
I think it's Wu et al. (2022b)

I'll add these species in my personal list, but neither avibase nor bow recognize barbouri and stricklandi.

What are Maratua and Larwo, are they localities?

The article describes differences between taxa, but does not describe the range for Maratua - this does however appear to be an Indonesian Island. The range of Larwo Shama is stated to be Java.

Yes you are tight 2022b!

The article describes differences between taxa, but does not describe the range for Maratua - this does however appear to be an Indonesian Island. The range of Larwo Shama is stated to be Java.

Yes you are tight 2022b!
Because Maratua/Maratus are very close spelling. I wonder if I was not a misspelling

I forgot to mention that in the same study as Olive-backed Sunbird, a 9.1% genetic divergence was discovered in Black Sunbird L.aspasia, suggesting that this species probably also comprises multiple species.

I forgot to mention that in the same study as Olive-backed Sunbird, a 9.1% genetic divergence was discovered in Black Sunbird L.aspasia, suggesting that this species probably also comprises multiple species.
There are so many subspecies that it will be a headache to group them between the two potential species

Let's search Larwo now. ...
Jim, I don't think there's any reason to search for Larwo, at least not on any maps ... ;)

To me, it looks like the Common/Vernacular name of the critically endangered species (or tiny ssp.) Larwo (White-rumped) Shama Kittacincla (malabarica) omissa / Copsychus (malabaricus) omissus HARTERT 1902 (OD here), as "Kittacincla macrurus omissa", which today (at best) is confined to Eastern Java, Indonesia (and suspected to be extinct in the wild, alt. judged 'nearly extinct' in the wild), originates in Larwo, a local (Indonesian/Javanese) name of the Bird itself (see, for example, here), a k a Murai (alt. Murai batu, in Malay).

Also see (even if the name itself isn't commented):
• Nigel J. Collar & Roland Wirth. 2022. Conservation breeding and the most threatened (song)birds in Asia—ten years on . Conservation update. BirdingAsia 37: 23–41 (full text here, p.36)
• Meng Yue Wu, Clara Jesse Lau, Elize Ying Xin Ng, Pratibha Baveja, Chyi Yin Gwee, Keren Sadanandan, Teuku Reza Ferasyi, Haminuddin, Rezky Ramadhan, Jochen K. Menner, & Frank E. Rheindt. 2022. Genomes from Historic DNA Unveil Massive Hidden Extinction and Terminal Endangerment in a Tropical Asian Songbird Radiation. Molecular Biology and Evolution 39 (9): 1–15 (here, alt. here).

As well see; here. , or here, alt. here (with a rare Photo of a juvenile/fledgling). Another (excellent) Photo of the same (but adult) Bird = here.

Enjoy!

Björn

Jim, I would keep/reserve that name for K./C. (m.) javana/javanus (Kloss, 1921), instead (if Larwo doesn't work for you) I'd go for the French name "Shama de Lawang" for omissa/omissus (after the Type locality), ... or something similar.
If the split of Copsychus malabaricus is accepted, and javanus is still a subspecies, to which species would javanus be attached?

Last edited:
I wanted to know the meaning of this word to know what French name I was going to give to Kittacincla/Copsychus omissa in my list. ...

One more post, as I happened to find the following text ... [my blue]:
[...]
11. Types of Murai Batu Jawa or Larwo
This Javanese magpie or commonly known as Larwo actually has a unique name meaning. Larwo which means Lare Dowo (long hair). Even though the Javanese stone magpie is not as famous as the Medan stone magpie, it also has a unique feature, which is when the song of the hair on the top of the head will stand upright like a crest, although usually the one that is standing is the chest hair.
The characteristics of the original Javanese magpie are its posture or small size, it has black fur on its belly, makes a good sound like other stone magpies and has a long tail hair of about 8–10cm .

[...]

[all according to here]

If true is unknown to me ... :unsure:

But, if so (though I haven't seen any reason to doubt it), it would/could/might be called 'Long-haired/Tufted/Crested Shama', alt. (in French) 'Shama huppée' (or something in line with it) ...

/B

Last edited:
I know I'll be opening a can of worms here again but, this is supposed to be an English laguage list. If characteristics of a bird are intended to be obvious form a name, the clues should be in English.

Modern nomenclature in some areas, particularly Asia, is getting a bit pretentious IMHO, keep it simple.

I know I'll be opening a can of worms here again but, this is supposed to be an English laguage list. If characteristics of a bird are intended to be obvious form a name, the clues should be in English.

Modern nomenclature in some areas, particularly Asia, is getting a bit pretentious IMHO, keep it simple.
Dare I ask what is wrong with any of the common names of the proposed split taxa? Most of the names seem pretty mundane to me, or they reference geography. Although it's weird that the summary at least doesn't include common names at all for the Silver Oriole split.

the Silver Oriole split.
I think this should be Maroon Oriole split, which is a tentative assessment at present (not backed up by morphology, vocal analysis etc.). Perhaps this is why there are no proposed names.

Not sure why the Great Eared Nightjar split, which is possibly determined on a wider range of data, had no proposed names… either in Latin or English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back