• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mute Swan - original distribution? (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

Mute Swans have expanded in recent decades (or centuries), mainly as a result of domestic / feral / introduced popoulations. However, as far as I know, this species is native to Europe and nowadays it is not always easy to tell feral birds from wild ones.

Is the original distribution known? I mean, before domestication began, where did this species occur naturally?

I have debated this in the past. eBird gave me native Mute Swan in Croatia but a friend suggested that I needed to go to Kazakhstan & another ticked it in South Korea...

Attached excerpts from Saunders 1880ish, Migration Atlas, EBBA2 & eBird Species Map if I remember correctly from that discussion. eBird's assessment of Mute Swan range - Cat C in orange & A in purple.

BOURC have a Category A categorisation amongst other categorisations which surprised me... Presumably they consider that there are vagrants from the native range? eBird's assessment is simply wrong as far as I can ascertain.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• IMG-20230412-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230412-WA0004.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20230412-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230412-WA0005.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20230412-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230412-WA0006.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20230412-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20230412-WA0007.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240102_134512_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102_134512_Chrome~2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks a lot Paul.
The mute swan is a highly educated and political bird. It understands national borders such that (according to ebird), mute swans in Iberia are careful to ensure that they're only introduced and not truly wild. The population in Ireland exercises similar immigration controls.

Basically, these ebird maps are complete nonsense...

The question you ask is interesting, but I suspect it's like asking "where is the ginko native?" So many introductions and translocations it's now impossible to tell. Perhaps DNA would help...

Thanks THE FERN.

Indeed I don't know why the swan is marked as exotic in some countries but not in others. In the case of Spain, there have been cases of wintering birds that had been ringed in central-eastern Europe, so migrant individuals do occur.

I know Wikipedia is not always reliable but surely it can't be wrong when it says "Mute swan subfossils, 6,000 years old, have been found in post-glacial peat beds of East Anglia, Great Britain. They have been recorded from Ireland east to Portugal and Italy, and from France 13,000 BP (Desbrosse and Mourer-Chauvire 1972–1973)." And surely nobody was introducing them in palaeolithic or mesolithic times ?

I asked Chris Perrins about this years ago & he was surprised at the suggestion that they weren't native to the UK
Yes why wouldn't they be? It's a waterbird and the UK is, well, wet. (I mean habitat not obviously different to their supposed native distribution of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back