• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 115MM Spotter Setup KIT (1 Viewer)

I am extremely happy with both my 95MM as well las my 115MM plus also the 4 pairs of swarovski binoculars i have also... Do you own the 115MM to be passing your judgment on one or are you just repeating what someone else has said..? I see the same old thing in my camera stuff too where yah have someone banging on a lens but never ever has owned it.... Very happy camper here for sure and thats with zero comparisons...

Do you actually own one yourself..? I happen to own one and quite pleased with mine 110%.. I am so happy I also own the 95 as well... Hard to find..? What's hard to find..? Spreading internet BS..! This thread is how happy I am with mine and "NO BAD COPY" here COUGH..

We know you love your scope as a fetish object, but you haven't provided one shred of evidence that it's any better than the disappointing copies several of us have already evaluated. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously learn how to do some basic tests, then come back with the results.

Last edited:
We know you love your scope as a fetish object, but you haven't provided one shred of evidence that's it's any better than the disappointing copies several of us have already evaluated. If you want your opinion to be taken seriously learn how to do some basic tests, then come back with the results.
Evidence..? Not required as I am the rightful owner plain and simple.... I never said a word but that I am happy and that is far as it will ever ever go with me I can assure you that...

Ok.

If I may ask, what is your impression when comparing the optical performance of this 115mm module to the 95mm one you also have; 115mm must be brighter but does it feel it has more resolving power/does it appear as sharp (or sharper) than the 95mm?

Regards, Juhani
A pal of mine owns an optic shop here In Cornwall and is an Swarovski main dealer. His personal scope was the 115,but, he has gone back to the 95 as he could see no difference in the day time and only a minute or two both ends of the day.
He says it was not worth the considerable effort in carting it about plus it needs to be used for best effect with the balance rail adding yet more weight!! He does love the BTX module though.
Peter.

(...) His personal scope was the 115,but, he has gone back to the 95 as he could see no difference in the day time and only a minute or two both ends of the day. (...)
Well possible: because due to vignetting the 115 module behaves like a 110 mm at the BTX, see
ATX/STX rumor and onwards.
When I tested the 115 as a possible upgrade to my former 95 module at the ATX the 115 showed a smidge less CA. In fact, this ATX 115 was optically the best scope I ever had the pleasure to look through. Admittedly, by a narrow margin.

My post-graduate work is in the humanities. I don't nuke a forum poster in my field because they haven't explained the hermeneutic behind their impressions nor read the passage in the original language. It is enough that they know they like what was written, that it is beautiful to them, that it has moved them in some way they are now expressing. In most ways their impressions are as legitimate as mine. Perhaps from time to time we know a spectacular experience when we have one in spite of a lack of training to technically confirm or articulate our impressions.

Thank you for your wonderful post in 2020 regarding how to evaluate a scope. My ATX w/85mm shows up this Thursday, and I'll go back and read that. Very glad you're here.
Well, I think an object can be appreciated for its prestige, its aesthetics or its capabilities, so Henry's interpretation was that the OP's bias was (not without precedent) to the former with apparent disinterest for the latter.
As someone who has contributed on this forum to the understanding and evaluluation of optics like no other, Henry's irritation is understandable.

John

Wow! I am reluctant to even post here now... Nevertheless, without any scientific testing, I ‘think’ I am very happy with my Wimberley sidekick 115 setup! 🫣

Attachments

• 2C725A67-5F32-4AF4-9969-BC7B4D4B9F53.jpeg
    2C725A67-5F32-4AF4-9969-BC7B4D4B9F53.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
I still didn't wrote something until now since I need to redo some measurements I made to confirm a possible small increase on the zoom range ...
Finally had the opportunity to redo the measurements:
  • X115 - has 0.81 to 1,3% longer focal length than the X95 (mean 1.05%);
  • last version of the STX eyepiece module has an increased zoom factor of 2.1 to 2.6% (mean 2.3%), but gain of TFOV occurs at both zoom ends, being that at lower magnification the gain is 4 to 4.5% (mean 4.3%) and at higher magnification the difference is +1.9%, being that if the AFOVs are the same (still have to measure the photos...), the last eyepiece module have longer focal lengths.
All measures done with 1mm precision being the wider FOV measured of 39.1cm - didn't measured precisely the distance from the scopes to the scale but should be about 12m - also confirmed the wider fields focused at the infinite.
Still have to compare my STX115 to a ATX115 before I write something at my page...

• last version of the STX eyepiece module has an increased zoom factor of 2.1 to 2.6% (mean 2.3%), but gain of TFOV occurs at both zoom ends, being that at lower magnification the gain is 4 to 4.5% (mean 4.3%) and at higher magnification the difference is +1.9%, being that if the AFOVs are the same (still have to measure the photos...), the last eyepiece module have longer focal lengths.
All measures done with 1mm precision being the wider FOV measured of 39.1cm - didn't measured precisely the distance from the scopes to the scale but should be about 12m - also confirmed the wider fields focused at the infinite.
Still have to compare my STX115 to a ATX115 before I write something at my page...
Thanks for taking the time to share.

Finally had a chance to compare my STX115 to a ATX115 that I knew existed in Portugal. Didn't performed a resolution test since the owner hadn't much time and the start-test didn't also show a perfect result. However, I confirmed the difference in FOVs observed comparing to my previous STX95 - the ATX115 was one of the first produced and had smaller FOVs than my STX115.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to compare my STX115 to a ATX115 that I knew existed in Portugal. Didn't performed a resolution test since the owner hadn't much time and the start-test didn't also show a perfect result. However, I confirmed the difference in FOVs observed comparing to my previous STX95 - the ATX115 was one of the first produced and had smaller FOVs than my STX115.
Thanks for the info. I am just not a big fan of the STX and always loved and owned the ATX versions.. I wonder what is to come next in Spotters from Swarovski ..?

Not by me, but I haven't tried another one. I'm still hoping for a good Kowa 99 or maybe Nikon will come out with a 100mm Monarch ED Fieldscope. Based on my experience with the 82mm Monarch I'd jump on that.

I purchased the Balance Rail last year when I bought the ATX115MM last summer and finally got around to installing it on my 115MM Spotter..

13A3C897-7C4D-4E32-8D56-E2AAD351D0E2.jpeg06BE4309-85D0-4AFA-94FC-F1864A716E05.jpeg51517CE3-2106-4EE3-A681-CDF46BE68D95.jpeg582243B9-F30A-4AF8-AFD2-F16149FB789B.jpeg

This 115mm scope looks to me more like a fast photo lens than a high magnification capable telescope.

Has anyone found one that can work well at 200x as a good 115mm certainly should?

An 115mm astro refractor should go higher than that on the night sky.

As a low magnification spotting scope the 115mm Swarovski probably works well.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back