• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My local patch in Belgium (1 Viewer)

ROW

Hi,

I want to share here some day to day birding sightings from my local patch in Belgium, located between Brussels and Ghent, at the edge and in the floodplain of the river Scheldt.

This year almost 190 species were observed in the area, not too bad, with as main highlight our famous Short-toed snake eagle, which stayed almost 2 months in the area and attracted hundreds of birders.

One of the best areas inland in Flanders for birding, and ideal to spend a half or full day in between tourist visits of our historic towns Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp. Especially spring April-May-June is stunning, but there is always something to see.

Our garden is next to the nature reserve, and as a result a nice birdlist was collected over the past 10 years. There is also a spot where i have a bird feeder, so when temperatures drop, nice flocks of Bramblings, Chaffinches, Chaffinches etc. with the occasional Hawfinch, visit the bird feeding spot.

So today 28/11:

Garden birds: some 35+ Greenfinches were present, and numbers of Chaffinches are rising (now 9)

Several Common snipes flew over the nature reserve and 6 Long-eared owls were present at the traditional roosting place. Also, a Great egret was feeding next to a small creek. Numbers of this species are rising in the area since several years, and we might expect them as a breeding bird in the near future.

Best regards

ROW

Last edited:
Today over 50 Greenfinch in the garden, and the first Tree sparrow of the winter. 2 pheasants were present too.

The Little owl was calling last night 300 meter to the east, he does not dare to come closer because a Tawny owl couple lives 100 meter to the west.

And now that the hunting season is over, flocks of Widgeons and Greater white-fronted geese start to come to the marsh. The latter species shows rising numbers the recent years, with numbers over 500.

Best regards
ROW

I discovered a male Common merganser on the small canal in the area, they are not that common, only when winter hits we have significant numbers.

Last thursday i went out with my friend to ring some owls, only one was caught, a nice male Tawny owl. The Long-eared owls were too smart and not lured into the nets.

Best regards

ROW

The feeder still has Greenfinch, Finch, as well as 3 Treesparrows, not so common here. A couple of Treefinches has started to occupy the nestbox and build a nest. Let's hope that they stay untill the breeding season.

An male Eider turned up in the local lake here, Eiders are uncommon inland, and it is probably the first one ever in the area.

The area is now full of geese, of several species. Nice to see.

Best regards

Wouter

Not much news to announce, the Eider is still in the area.
Geese numbers now are between 500-1000 in the area.
We are now waiting for the first Black-tailed godwits to arrive, the earliest birds can arrive end of the month.

Best regards

ROW

It is a special subspecies of the Chaffinch only occurring in my garden: Fringilla coelebs arboricola ;-)

No, i am joking, this was a typo, I meant Treesparrows off course.

Best regards

ROW

4 owl species in 2 days in and around the garden: Little, Tawny, Long-eared and Barn owl.
The long-eared owls were displaying around a patch of spruces, and clapping with their wings.
The Black-tailed godwits are displaying as well, 7 couples are present.
The new areas around the river Scheldt are excellent for waders nowadays with many species present, now it is waiting for a rare migrant to arrive (e.g. a marsh sandpiper or pectoral sandpiper).
For the first time there are now 3 couples of Avocet breeding in the area.

Best regards

ROW

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back