• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Maven B3 6x30 Custom Has Arrived (1 Viewer)

If Chuck lived within shouting range to you, you could call chuck the :king: of all Binocular Inventory far and near. If you invite him for a cookout at your favorite birding spot and tell him you are providing all the food/beverages with all the necessities B :) maybe he will offer to bring all the necessary Equipment/Birding Binoculars :t: .... maybe you could even talk him into getting a loaner of a certain 6x Bino well ahead of your scheduled outing just to make sure everyone’s viewing needs are covered :smoke:

Have binocular, will travel.:smoke:

In fact I've always wanted to go birding around Tucson AND Jacksonville! ;)

I received the Maven B.3 6x30 today. I have shallow eye socket's so I need fairly long eye cup's to match the eye relief on most binocular's. The Maven B.3 6x30 eye cup's were not long enough for me forcing me to float the binocular in front of my eye's to see the full FOV. So for me they were a complete fail. Even when I did see the full FOV I thought the AFOV was quite small and to me it seemed the 425 foot FOV was correct. The focuser and eye cups worked fine but I thought the binocular's had a plasticky feel and they were definitely a step down in quality from your higher end Maven model's which I have owned before. My pair are on their way back to Wyoming.:king:

Last edited:
I received the Maven B.3 6x30 today. I have shallow eye socket's so I need fairly long eye cup's to match the eye relief on most binocular's. The Maven B.3 6x30 eye cup's were not long enough for me forcing me to float the binocular in front of my eye's to see the full FOV. So for me they were a complete fail. Even when I did see the full FOV I thought the AFOV was quite small and to me it seemed the 425 foot FOV was correct. The focuser and eye cups worked fine but I thought the binocular's had a plasticky feel and they were definitely a step down in quality from your higher end Maven model's which I have owned before. My pair are on their way back to Wyoming.:king:

Denis ... I am glad I did not read your impression of the B.3 6x30 first or I probably would not have taken a chance on ordering my non-returnable customized version :eek!: If you had to grade this binocular from 1-10, with 10 being the highest I could see it being given a “4” from you based on your experience. With myself having the completely opposite experience with the Maven B.3 6x30, I would give it a 10 + :t: Here on this forum which can be very personalized, is like asking two different people who likes a certain leafy green vegetable. Myself for reasons going back to my early childhood, I can not stomach Lima beans, Green Beans, Spinach, asparagus ... anything Green :C My wife on the other hand loves to eat that leafy crap :eat: . Having said this Denis, if the Maven 6x30 does not work for you because of your facial characteristics that’s a bummer :-C. With my face, it’s a perfect match. As far as the Plastic feel you experienced, I wonder if the more expensive color choices other than the solid Black or Gray had something to do with that opinion ? I am going from memory but I thought I read somewhere where someone who had reviewed both a standard and a customized pair of Maven’s, said the standard color had a more tacky feel being more slippery to hold ? I have no Idea of how the Maven’s outside skins are made or how they apply the customized colorings to each. Maybe a forum member who has some knowledge on this topic can tell us. This could be another reason why are opinions of how these feel in hand are the complete opposite.

Last edited:
Denis ... I am glad I did not read your impression of the B.3 6x30 first or I probably would not have taken a chance on ordering my non-returnable customized version :eek!: If you had to grade this binocular from 1-10, with 10 being the highest I could see it being given a “4” from you based on your experience. With myself having the completely opposite experience with the Maven B.3 6x30, I would give it a 10 + :t: Here on this forum which can be very personalized, is like asking two different people who likes a certain leafy green vegetable. Myself for reasons going back to my early childhood, I can not stomach Lima beans, Green Beans, Spinach, asparagus ... anything Green :C My wife on the other hand loves to eat that leafy crap :eat: . Having said this Denis, if the Maven 6x30 does not work for you because of your facial characteristics that’s a bummer :-C. With my face, it’s a perfect match. As far as the Plastic feel you experienced, I wonder if the more expensive color choices other than the solid Black or Gray had something to do with that opinion ? I am going from memory but I thought I read somewhere where someone who had reviewed both a standard and a customized pair of Maven’s, said the standard color had a more tacky feel being more slippery to hold ? I have no Idea of how the Maven’s outside skins are made or how they apply the customized colorings to each. Maybe a forum member who has some knowledge on this topic can tell us. This could be another reason why are opinions of how these feel in hand are the complete opposite.
It could be that the customized version has a more quality feel. I don't know if the focus wheel is plastic or not but it felt it. IMO it has a narrow AFOV as you would expect by it's specification's so I am just warning other member's of my impression of it. Honestly, I would just as soon have the $100.00 Leupold Yosemite 6x30 but as you say we are all different. Have you tried the Yosemite's?

https://www.opticsreviewer.com/leupold-yosemite-binoculars.html

Last edited:
It could be that the customized version has a more quality feel. I don't know if the focus wheel is plastic or not but it felt it. IMO it has a narrow AFOV as you would expect by it's specification's so I am just warning other member's of my impression of it. Honestly, I would just as soon have the $100.00 Leupold Yosemite 6x30 but as you say we are all different. Have you tried the Yosemite's?

https://www.opticsreviewer.com/leupold-yosemite-binoculars.html

No, never tried the Yosemite. Our two entirely different opinions of the 6x30 Maven is as extreme as you rather having a Leupold Yosemite and me putting my custom 6x30 Maven B3 on the same quality level as the first generation Swarovski 8x30 Cl I owned. Beauty is in the eye of the ... in this case the “Holder” with so many different opinions only found here on BirdForum :t: For those first time readers ... :eek!: who are undecided on which one to own, the Leupold or the Maven ? My bet would be the Maven but I am just an old man who never liked eating those crappy green vegetables when I was a kid 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back