• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new 10x50 Endurance binoculars. (4 Viewers)

colin mm

Hi guys
I recieved these today from Hawke online, as I thought with my 15 year old 8x42 Bushnell nature views I just fancied a new pair.
Now don't get me wrong, my Bushnell are still performing great, I just wanted a new pair.
The first surprise was the Endurance binos are slightly shorter than my Bushnells which surprised me as being 10x50 I expected larger.
Any way after setting the diopter up on the right I focused on the tree about 100 yards away with the sun shining through the branches and leaves. I was very happy with the crisp view as there was no sign at all of chromatic Abberation.
My next check was close focusing and happily it did what it claimed straight away.
Now I had to see what the difference was like with my Bushnells, so I sat at a table with both focused on the same target and swapped between them so many times I lost count.
Now other than the size of the image being noticeably larger I was finding it difficult to differentiate between them.
But I stuck with it and carried on comparing and I started to notice even with the image being slightly larger the brightness was similar to the smaller of the bushnell.
Then the detail started to be easier to see in the Hawkes, but it took some time.
I love the flip down lens covers and they fit nice and firmly when closed.
Comfortable to hold and scan with, hardly any focus wheel movement needed to adjust focus distance, and the wheel feels nice and smooth.
Nitrogen purged and water proof I'll feel better if I'm caught out in a shower with these.
I'm surprised how good my old Bushnell natureviews are considering their age as I really had to try to see the differences, which wasn't massive but subtle.
Would i recommend these Endurance 10x50's?
Hell yes, they're great, I just have a nearly as great second pair to keep as back up.

Unfortunately while trying to look up at stars tonight a flaw has shown itself.
I was getting a double vision of a star showing above and no matter what I tried with focus it wouldn't go, sometimes it did though. But after a few minutes of this I felt slightly sickly and dizzy.
I tried my other binos and it was relaxed sharp and fine.
Iv emailed Hawke to let them know.

Unfortunately while trying to look up at stars tonight a flaw has shown itself.
I was getting a double vision of a star showing above and no matter what I tried with focus it wouldn't go, sometimes it did though. But after a few minutes of this I felt slightly sickly and dizzy.
I tried my other binos and it was relaxed sharp and fine.
Iv emailed Hawke to let them know.
I'd say this is because the binoculars are out of collimation (the barrels are not aimed at the exact same point). Send them back to Hawke and they should fix it under the warranty.

To top it off, I thought I'd try to mount them onto my tripod to make doubly sure so removed the screw thread cover in the middle only to find it scratched. This had me feeling like I felt the last time I was sent something that had been sent back by someone then resent back out as new to me.
When I checked collimation it was just very slightly out by a smidgeon when I turned the ocular fully clockwise so the right lens was out of focus, but when I turned it fully the other way it was near enough bang on. So it's only a midgies hair out one way but enough for me to feel it.

Attachments

• 20210808_015034.jpg
    20210808_015034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Good news, after sending them back for inspection they arranged with a courier, they sent me an email saying they were indeed out of collimation and scratched on the mount screw.
Two days later they sent me a new replacement which I'v checked with the stars and planets tonight.
Jupiter and its four main moons were sharp, and Saturn's shape was nicely visible.
Also they feel visually relaxing to use, which the faulty ones didn't.
My final test though I think will be fine, is CA as even the faulty pair had no sign of this.
But I'm confident all is well now.
Strange how during the daylight the view was nice and crisp with only the strained feel in my eyes and me thinking it was me getting used to the ten times mag instead of eight times of my own binos.
Just goes to show you that there's nothing better than a star test for optics.
Anyway, I'm over the moon and can't wait to get birding with them now.

Iv just tried the adapter I have to put them on a monopod, but have found the depth of the screw threads is very shallow and the adapter I have is too long in the screw and can't tighten up.
Any ideas guys?

Views were bright and sharp at the river, in fact I'm that happy with the binos I'v got an Endurance 20-60x68 ED hawke spotting scope coming tomorrow.
Iv wanted a good spotting scope for as long as I can remember, and I'd like to try digi scoping too.
So I'm looking forward to this arriving, I'll let you know how it goes.

What can I say, the scope is as good as I expected and I'm very happy with them.
Now I was using a budget tripod and a ball head which isn't ideal, so I decided to get a new pan and tilt head and legs.
Taking note from reading on here I knew I shouldn't skimp on this to get the best from my spotting scope, so iv got a Manfrotto 500AM head and 055 xpro3 legs coming tomorrow. But as is usual I'm At work tomorrow for at least two weeks helping cover for staff shortages.
Adventures with my new scoping set up will have to wait, but I really can't wait to get out there with them.
As usual I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi guys
Iv not been out with them properly yet, but tried them out in the garden last night.
And I have to say the tripod and head are great to use.
Rock steady on views at full zoom, and only takes a second to settle if knocked.
Not the lightest of Set ups, but definitely the steadiest and easiest to use.
I'm very happy with this set up and intend to use it for years to come.
I'm even deciding on a home patch to start a list for as I'm lucky to have several that could be my choice. Also I'm starting a life list for the first time as I'v never bothered up to now.
I might even start a birding diary.

Attachments

• received_999998640786669.jpeg
    received_999998640786669.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back