• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pennsylvania Butterfly Patch (1 Viewer)

MikeInPA

Fuck Trump
United States
This time of year I mainly switch from photographing birds to butterflies and bugs. Several years ago I started this butterfly patch to make it easier to photograph them. The picture is taken from my living room where in the winter I do a lot of bird photography on the setups which I switch around when I get bored with the current ones. The plants include Dogbane, Swamp Milkweed, Common Milkweed, Mountain Mint, Mist Flower, Bergamot, Bee Balm, Blue Lobelia, Cardinal Flower, New England Aster and various unwelcome natives Honewort, Mugwort, Smart Weed, and invasive Japanese Stilt Grass. The bushes are Spicebush which is the host for Spicebush Swallowtails. The purple flowers are Hosta's which is not a native but the hummingbirds and some butterflies like them.
Butterfly Garden 1.jpg
My attempt at a dry stone is not as good as the ones back in the UK.:rolleyes:

Out of view are some pots of Parsley, Italian Parsley, Dill, Fennel and Rue all of which are host to the Black Swallowtail and more Swamp Milkweed. They're not doing well this year because a Groundhog sampled them. Most years they have several nice caterpillars on them. In an area that gets a lot of sunlight I've planted New York Iron Weed, Joe Pye Weed, and Mexican Sunflowers.

Here's a few pictures taken over the years.

Attachments

• Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 7.jpg
    Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Hummingbird Clearwing  2.jpg
    Hummingbird Clearwing 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Meadow Fritillary.jpg
    Meadow Fritillary.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Monarch 3.jpg
    Monarch 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Spicebush Swallowtail 1.jpg
    Spicebush Swallowtail 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back