• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My taxonomic predictions (1 Viewer)

I can't find them now sadly. I think it was mentioned in passing in a proposal for a taxonomic change in a non-cuckoo group of birds.

My classification for Caprimulgiformes. I am a bit more radical with this group than most, recognizing 4 subfamilies, and 4 tribes within Caprimulginae. Unfortunately, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, there are not formerly named family/subfamily/tribes for several of these clades, which I have put in " ".

Caprimulgiformes

Caprimulgidae
Eurostopodinae

Eurostopodus

"Lyncorninae"
Lyncornis

"Gactorninae"
Gactornis

Caprimulginae
Nyctidromini

Nyctiprogne, Lurocalis, Nyctipolus, Nyctidromus, Tepuiornis, Uropsalis, Quechuavis, Setopagis, Eleothreptus, Systellura, Hydropsalis

"Antrostomini"
Siphonorhis, Nyctiphrynus, Phalaenoptilus, Antrostomus

Chordeilini
Podager, Chordeiles

Caprimulgini
Veles, Caprimulgus

Unfortunately, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, there are not formerly named family/subfamily/tribes for several of these clades, which I have put in " ".

Pretty sure no family-group name was proposed for the recent Gactornis, and I have no trace of a name based on Lyncornis either. I would make these name Gactornithinae and Lyncornithinae, though, as they end in a transliteration of ὄρνις, -ιθος, a bird in Greek.
I would attribute Antrostomini (which I had overlooked so far, too -- despite having checked this journal for family-group names previously) to Shufeldt 1889.

Last edited:
The remaining nocturnal Strisores

Steatornithiformes
Steatornithidae

Steatornis

Nyctibiiformes
Nyctibiidae

Phyllaemulor, Nyctibius

Podargiformes
Podargidae
"Rigidipenninae"

Rigidipenna

Podarginae
Podargus

Batrachostominae
Batrachostomus

Aegothelidae
Aegotheles

I'd be a bit cautious about it.
First, this is based only on a cyt-b sequence -- this is the only gene that has been sequenced for Columba larvata.
Second, there are five cyt-b sequences for this species in GenBank (4 from Valente et al 2020, and a shorter one from Wilson et al 2022). Four of these are very similar to one another, while the fifth one is rather (~5%) divergent (and has quite a few unidentified nucleotides) -- this sequence might conceivably be problematic. Unfortunately, this divergent sequence is also the longest of the five, and is the one that Oliver et al 2023 chose to use in their supermatrix.
That's a pity.
The possibility of a relationship between the three Columba (subgenus Turturoena) species and the more terrestrial  larvata was intriguing.

I finally am nearing completion of Columbiformes for my checklist. Ultimately, I stuck to subfamilies for now rather than elevating some to family status. This is mostly because I observed enough variation in molecular clock data that I am not convinced we have a firm grasp of how far back some of them diverged. Hell I am not sure we actually know for certain what is going on with the Australasian species on the basic relationship level

My listing isn't particularly controversial...I think folks have been pretty good at fixing the most glaring issues. If you have comments or thoughts or things you think should be subdivided more/differently, let me know! FYI green text is not yet accepted by IOC and red text is extinct

Columbidae
Claravinae

Claravis, Uropelia, Paraclavis, Metropelia, Columbina

Columbinae
Zenaidini

Geotrygon, Leptotrygon, Leptoptila, Zentrygon, Zenaida

Columbini
Ectopistes, Reinwardtoena, Turacoena, Macropygia, Patagioenas, Streptopelia, Nesoenas, Spilopelia, Columba

Starnoenadinae
Starnoenas

Phabinae
Diopezus, "Gallicolumba" rufigula, Gallicolumba, Geopelia, Henicophaps, Ocyphaps, Leucosarcia, Petrophassa, Geophaps, Phaps, Pampusana

Raphinae
Treronini

Treron

Chalcophabini
Chalcophaps, Oena, Turtur

Otidiphabinae
Microgoura, Trugon, Otidiphaps

Raphini
Pezophaps, Raphus, Caloenas, Bountyphaps

Gourini
Didunculus, Goura, Natunaornis

Phapitreronini
Phapitreron

Ptilinopini
Hemiphaga, Gymnophaps, Lopholaimus, Cryptophaps, Ducula, Tongoenas, Megaloprepia, Ramphiculus, Alectroenas, Drepanoptila, Chrysoena, Ptilinopus
My list is very similar, the main difference being the restriction of Raphinae to the diverse collection of unique old oddball lineages, and the consequent raising of Treroni- and Ptilinopi- to subfamily level. I haven't decided what to do with Phapitreroni- yet.

If the Ptilinopinae part the tree (Fig. S4) in this paper is accurate then the relationship between Chrysoena and Ptilinopus melanospilus suggests using Haemataena for melanospilus might be a better option.

Also Ptilinopus nainus appears to be closer to Drepanoptila holosericea than other members of its genus. It seems a bit distant to be easily included in Drepanoptila and I don't know if another genus name is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back