• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My taxonomic predictions (2 Viewers)

Nope. I had seen an isolated Nettapus on its branch and another Nettapus in a clade which contained among others Heteronetta
Ok, the paper is Eo & al., 2009. A phylogenetic supertree of the fowls (Galloanserae, Aves)

OK -- https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-6409.2008.00382

I place little confidence in supertrees, actually. (Real supertrees, as in this paper, which are obtained by combining the topologies of trees published elsewhere -- these are typically much less trustworthy than trees built from a supermatrix combining the data from different sources.)
To explain the result, one should probably look at all the source trees published in the 108 refs listed in the first supplementary file associated to the paper.
Anyway, to begin with, Nettapus being embedded in Erismaturini/Oxyurini doesn't really inspire confidence...
In terms of genetic data, the hemoglobin sequences are too recent to have been included in this analysis (and, in the only published tree based on them that I have seen, only a small number of terminals are labelled, hence it could not be readily used for this purpose); the only genetic trees with some Nettapus in them that will have been available at this date are those in Sraml et al 1996, which used the N. coromandelianus and N. pulchellus cytochrome-b sequences I alludes to above. As the two Nettapus spp that ended up united in Eo et al's tree are precisely these two species, I suspect that N. auritus did not follow due to a lack of data, rather than to data actually showing it to be distinct.

Last edited:
Can you explain why you do not use Eudromiinae Bonaparte 1854, instead of Nothurinae Miranda-Ribeiro 1938 ?
Is Chendytini Livezey 1997 really available, and not a nomen nudum ?
Only ever seen Nothurinae but will replace with Eudromiinae

No clue on Chendytini, but it works as a placeholder for now. If there is another suitable name I will use it, but unfortunately not sure if one is likely to exist, given I am not aware of another genus of closely related ducks.

Should be stated of course that this is my own personal classification and not for publication. So not super-stressed out if a clade name is nomen nudum. So there will be some "incorrect" names mixed in, especially for critters that lack a defined clade name AFAIK. But I am more than happy to take corrections from some of you folks who are way way more into this realm of nomenclature than I am!

Here's the various landfowl: Note some of these higher-level names haven't been defined anywhere so are not from the literature. If folks no alternatives please let me know.

Sylviornithiformes -
Sylviornithidae - Megavitiornis, Sylviornis

Megapodiformes
Megapodidae - Megapodinae -
Talegallini
- Talegalla, Leipoa, Mwalau, Alectura, Aepypodius
Megapodini - Macrocephalon, Eulipoa, Megapodius

Galliformes
Cracidae
- Penelopina, Chamaepetes, Aburria, Penelope, Oreophasis, Ortalis, Nothoprocta, Pauxi, Crax

Numididae - Numida, Phasidus, Agelastes, Acryllium, Guttera

Odontophoridae
Ptilopachinae
- Acentrorytx, Ptilopachus
Odontophorinae - Rhynchortyx, Oreortyx, Dendrortyx, Philortyx, Colinus, Callipepla, Cyrtonyx, Dactylortyx, Odontophorus

Phasianidae

Rollulinae -
Xenoperdixini
(?) -Xenoperdix
Rollulini - Caloperdix, Melanoperdix, Rollulus, Arborophila

Phasianinae
Lerwini
-Lerwa
Ithaginini - Ithaginis
Lophophorini - Tragopan, Tetraophasis, Lophophorus
Rhizotherini - Rhizothera
Tetraonini - Pucrasia, Meleagris, Bonasa, Tetrastes, Centrocercus, Dendragapus, Tympanuchus, Lagopus, Falcipennis, Canachites, Lyrurus, Tetrao
Perdicini - Perdix
Phasianini - Syrmaticus, Chrysolophus, Phasianus, Catreus, Crossoptilon, Lophura

Pavoninae
Argini (?)
- Argusianus, Rheinardia
Pavonini - Afropavo, Pavo
Tropicoperdicini (?)- Tropicoperdix
Polyplectronini - Haematortyx, Galloperdix, Polyplectron
Gallini - Bambusicola, Gallus, Peliperdix, Ortygornis, Francolinus, Campocolinus, Scleroptila
Coturnicini - Tetraogallus, Ammoperdix, Synoicus, Margaroperdix, Coturnix, Alectoris, Perdicula, Ophrysia, Pternistis

Just a couple of nomenclatural comments -

Megapodiformes
Megapodidae - Megapodinae -
Talegallini
- Talegalla, Leipoa, Mwalau, Alectura, Aepypodius
Megapodini - Macrocephalon, Eulipoa, Megapodius
The stem of Megapodius is Megapodi-. Thus, IMHO, Megapodiiformes, Megapodiidae, Megapodiinae, Megapodiini.
Also : a family-group name Alecturidae was first used by Jameson in 1839, which actually makes it older than Talegallini Bonaparte 1842; the same name was used again by Mathews in 1946, hence cannot be made a nomen oblitum. Names based on Talegalla have been used much more often, however.

Xenoperdixini (?) -Xenoperdix
Please, Xenoperdicini... ;) (Even though, so far as I know, the taxon is undescribed : were it to be described tomorrow as "Xenoperdixini", this spelling would in principle stand.)

Rhizotherini - Rhizothera
This name has apparently entered a number of sources (all derived from Wikipedia ?), but I don't have a published source for it in my files.

Argini (?) - Argusianus, Rheinardia
Argusianini. Argus Temminck 1807 is a junior homonym (Argus Bohadsch 1761, Mollusca; Argus Scopoli 1763, Lepidoptera; Argus Poli 1791, Mollusca). Family-group names formed from junior homonyms are permanently invalid : using Argini for the bird is not an option.

Tropicoperdicini (?)- Tropicoperdix
The name is correctly formed. (But of course this taxon is undescribed.)

Last edited:
Last bundle for awhile, as it is going to take me awhile to get through Columbiformes, the next major bird clade to tackle, especially as I am still undecided how to rank some of the clades. At any rate, nothing to controversial here, as most of these orders are low diversity and/or lack molecular phylogenies.

Phoenicopteriformes
Phoenicopteridae
- Phoenicoparrus, Phoenicopterus

Podicipedidae - Podilymbus, Tachybaptus, Poliocephalus, Aechmophorus, Rollandia, Podiceps

Mesitornithiformes
Mesitornithidae
- Monias, Mesitornis

Pterocliformes
Pteroclidae
- Pterocles, Calopterocles, Nyctiperdix, Macleanornis, Syrrhaptes

I've recently started my own checklist project. Just to throw my two cents in (Since Jim is curious), here is what I have so far for Paleognath and ducks and kin. I'm more conservative than Jim as you can see, and prefer not to create new genera unless there are deep divergences or paraphyly to reconcile. Comments are welcome. Also, still not sure whether Oxyurinae or Erasmaturinae is more appropriate.

Struthioniformes -
Struthionidae
- Struthio

Rheiformes -
Rheidae
- Rhea

Casuariiformes - Casuariidae - Casuariinae -
Dromaiini
- Dromaius
Casuariini - Casuarius

Aepyornithiformes -
Aepyornithidae
- Mullerornis, Aeypyornis

Apterygiformes -
Apterygidae
- Apteryx

Dinornithiformes -
Dinornithidae
- Megalopteryx, Dinornis, Anomalopteryx, Emeus, Euryapteryx, Pachyornis

Tinamiformes - Tinamidae -
Nothurinae
- Eudromia, Tinamotis, Nothura, Taoniscus, Rhynchotus
Tinaminae - Nothocercus, Tinamus, Crypturellus

Anhimiformes -
Anhimidae
- Anhima, Chauna

Anseriformes -
Anserantidae
- Anseranas

Dendrocygnidae - Thalassornis, Dendrocygna

Anatidae -
Plectropterinae - Plectropterus
Biziurinae - Biziura
Nettapodinae - Nettapus
Erasmaturinae - Heteronetta, Nomonyx, Oxyura, Talpanas

Anserinae -
Stictonettini - Malacorhynchus, Stictonetta
Cereopseini - Cereopsis, Coscoroba, Cnemiornis
Cygnini - Cygnus
Anserini - Branta, Anser

Anatinae -
Cairinini
- Cairina, Aix
Tadornini - Salvadorina, Merganetta, Neochen, Chloephaga, Radjah, Alopochen, Tadorna
Mergini - Clangula, Histrionicus, Camptorhynchus, Polysticta, Somateria, Melanitta, Bucephala, Mergellus, Mergus
Callonettini - Callonetta
Aythyini - Chenonetta, Sarkidiornis, Hymenolaimus, Pteronetta, Cyanochen, Marmaronetta, Asarcornis, Netta, Metopiana, Phaeoaythia, Aythya
Chendytini - Chendytes
Anatini - Tachyeres, Lophonetta, Speculanas, Amazonetta, Sibirionetta, Spatula, Mareca, Anas
I've been constructing a similar list, though laid it aside for a while - there will be more free time after September when I retire.
Trying to decide how to assign each clade to a taxonomic level was driving me nuts so I ended up lopping off the endings and replacing them with a hyphen. Very freeing mentally!

Do any of you fine folks here know if there is an alternative genus name available for Cinnamon Ground Dove (Gallicolumba rufigula)?

I guess "Gallicolumba" it is for now (I am not a fan of just making up new scientific names unless its something I am actually describing in the literature). I feel dirty enough having to come up with common namse for subspecies groups which Clements doesn't name and there isn't an obvious name in the literature :)

I finally am nearing completion of Columbiformes for my checklist. Ultimately, I stuck to subfamilies for now rather than elevating some to family status. This is mostly because I observed enough variation in molecular clock data that I am not convinced we have a firm grasp of how far back some of them diverged. Hell I am not sure we actually know for certain what is going on with the Australasian species on the basic relationship level

My listing isn't particularly controversial...I think folks have been pretty good at fixing the most glaring issues. If you have comments or thoughts or things you think should be subdivided more/differently, let me know! FYI green text is not yet accepted by IOC and red text is extinct

Columbidae
Claravinae

Claravis, Uropelia, Paraclavis, Metropelia, Columbina

Columbinae
Zenaidini

Geotrygon, Leptotrygon, Leptoptila, Zentrygon, Zenaida

Columbini
Ectopistes, Reinwardtoena, Turacoena, Macropygia, Patagioenas, Streptopelia, Nesoenas, Spilopelia, Columba

Starnoenadinae
Starnoenas

Phabinae
Diopezus, "Gallicolumba" rufigula, Gallicolumba, Geopelia, Henicophaps, Ocyphaps, Leucosarcia, Petrophassa, Geophaps, Phaps, Pampusana

Raphinae
Treronini

Treron

Chalcophabini
Chalcophaps, Oena, Turtur

Otidiphabinae
Microgoura, Trugon, Otidiphaps

Raphini
Pezophaps, Raphus, Caloenas, Bountyphaps

Gourini
Didunculus, Goura, Natunaornis

Phapitreronini

Phapitreron

Ptilinopini
Hemiphaga, Gymnophaps, Lopholaimus, Cryptophaps, Ducula, Tongoenas, Megaloprepia, Ramphiculus, Alectroenas, Drepanoptila, Chrysoena, Ptilinopus

Otidiphabinae
Microgoura, Trugon, Otidiphaps

Raphini
Pezophaps, Raphus, Caloenas, Bountyphaps

Gourini
Didunculus, Goura, Natunaornis

Why not keep these together? I know they're old lineages, but the internal composition of the group seems to differ with every study

Users who are viewing this thread

Back