• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mysterious reed warblers, need ID.. (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

I took these pictures yesterday in Muş-Turkey. I think all tree are different birds, although they were at the 26C6DCED-008A-4EB0-86A4-114B758ECB3A.jpegD11A1D59-FEEE-48F8-911E-5E2C2620E35F.jpeg1713B8F0-DEC8-4A55-BD32-7F16E96E07BE.jpegsame location. The first picture resembles Basra reed Warbler. The others suggests iduna rama. Could you please kindly confirm or suggest alternatives. Thanks.

Muratfaik hi,

1st image looks to me like an Acro, I’m thinking perhaps Paddyfield Warbler might be a candidate (strong supercillium and short primary extension?)

Really need to see better images of the primary extension on images 2 and 3 to comment.

Cheers

All pics in #1 show an (the same?) Acrocephalus - long undertail coverts. The primary projection seems to be quite short (not assessable on each pic) plus the supercilium is narrow and extenting well behind the eye. Have you considered Blyth's Reed Warbler? What's the status in Turkey?

Ken, it's a Paddyfield Warbler in #3 - plain back, no dark legs... Stunning photo btw!

All pics in #1 show an (the same?) Acrocephalus - long undertail coverts. The primary projection seems to be quite short (not assessable on each pic) plus the supercilium is narrow and extenting well behind the eye. Have you considered Blyth's Reed Warbler? What's the status in Turkey?

Ken, it's a Paddyfield Warbler in #3 - plain back, no dark legs... Stunning photo btw!
At first glance, I thought it was Blyth’s but bill length and lower mandibule color suspected me. On the other hand Blyth’s warbler ringed at Iğdır ringing center, which is not far away from this location. I am in a long birding trip, that is why I can not check details of very similar species. Thanks for your consideration.

Murat

Have only seen one of each Roland, both many years ago (Pad/Moust.) and am surprised at how dark (lighting being everything) the crown can be on Paddyfield!
My bird was much paler and agree that Murat’s image is outstanding!

Cheers

Thank you very much friends,

I checked the photo series and noticed that, all tree birds are different individuals. First one (Blyth’s warbler?) has long bill, pink legs, short primary projection and long supercilium. But the bird in number 2 has longish supercilium, shorter bill and pinkish legs. The bird in #3 has longish supercilium, longer bill (not as long as that in the #1), darker legs (because of light?). In this case the bird in #1 seems like Blyth’s reed warbler. But #2 and #3 are still unclear for me.

In adition to this I found 2 more photo that I shot at same spot, same time. All photos were taken in 10 minutes periot. I would be glad if you kindly share your opinions. Here are the other two birds. I believe all these birds are different individuals.

5D83AD05-2539-43D8-A3A3-CCA4C9AD8C9B.jpeg9E04A87F-D18D-4D02-AE51-34415DD8C2E4.jpeg

Much better images Murat, in fact superb!

Paddyfield Warbler images being extremely so, the first two Blyth’s images being definitive, with the pp half the tertial length and the emarginations on p3 being “up the wing” falling well within the tertial area.👍

Those Paddyfield Warbler photos are phenomenal, esp. the flight shot!

The bird(s) in #9 is an Iduna - notched tail... I think it's I. pallida because of the rather large bill.

I still believe all photos in #1 show Blyth's Reed Warbler.
Thanks. What do you think about the bird in this photo? 6 primary tip on the primary projection clearly noticable, which is an ID criteria for Bly’ths Reed warbler (as far as I know). It was taken at he same spot, same time. Probably same bird as in #1

FEFCF410-97DB-43CB-B98A-3F95225C119F.jpeg

Is the wetland shown on Google Maps as Yam Lagünü the location of the marsh? If so, the main highway at its southern boundary acts as a breakwater against the sea, and the raised land to the north looks free of major construction and so may give that wetland worthwhile protection against development.
MJB

Murat, very cold to you is like a warm summer's day in Northern Scotland. :LOL: I know you have cold winters in the mountains. Incidentally, what temperature do you have at the moment? The app says 17° C, but these things are not that accurate.
It was 12 degree celcius Andy. It is cold for me, since I am a citizen of Göcek (Muğla) 😄

Is the wetland shown on Google Maps as Yam Lagünü the location of the marsh? If so, the main highway at its southern boundary acts as a breakwater against the sea, and the raised land to the north looks free of major construction and so may give that wetland worthwhile protection against development.
MJB
Yes It was the place where I shot paddyfield wabler. But Blyth’s warbler was in the Tigem area, near Muş city center. Tigem area is strictly protected and Yam Lagün has no protection status as far as I know. But for the time being it does not look under threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back