• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery birds (4 Viewers)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
Here are a few of my own miserable efforts.I'm looking for the preening bird in the top photo in the first block.
Harry H

Last edited:
Help,I can't get the pics up!!
Harry H
Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
Here are a few of my own miserable efforts.I'm looking for the preening bird in the top photo in the first block.
Harry H

scan1.jpg

scan2.jpg

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
Harry H

scan1.jpg

scan2.jpg
Try this and this

Actually it still doesn't work - I don't think you can link to something in the Yahoo mail system as you need to supply a user name and password.

Last edited:
Harry Hussey said:
Help,I can't get the pics up!!
Harry H

Hi Harry,

You click on Manage Attachments in the area below your text entry box and then browse for the image you want to upload. Once the file appears in the list click All Done.

I can see a Great Shearwater, but that is the only one I'm even thinking about having a guess at.

Well I can guess anything as I haven`t a clue!
Perhaps
1. Goldeneye (left) & Gulls including Greater Black-backed (right)???
2.Guillemot???
3. Can barely see a bird in that one! Kestrel???

4. Herring Gull???

Hi all,
Firstly,apologies for having scanned the first three as a block:the initial photographs are poor enough without being sized down as well!
Clue:all of the birds were photographed in Co.Cork.The preening bird in Photo 1(top)is the one that I'm looking for.
No-one has more than one right so far....
Harry H

I'm with CJW, I can only see one bird in the left hand pics and that looks to be Great Shearwater.

The gull appears to have a shedload of white in its mirrors on the right wing, but also some black. I've seen hybrid Glauc/Herrring look like that. If the upperparts were darker I'd have a go for a northern argentatus Herring Gull (pseudo omissus) but it looks pale mantled, so I'll stick at hybrid glauc for now.

I'm going to have to play with the images as see if I can see any birds!

Ok, assuming the left hand bird in the top shot is A GBBG, then the preening bird is a big gull (actually it looks like a dirty juv swan!)

I think it might be an American Herring Gull, 1st winter....

Hi all,
Still nobody with more than one right!The bird in the bottom photo of the first block(Photo 3)is to the left of the white plastic bag....
The preening bird in Photo 1 is a gull.
Harry H

Is the bird in front of the ship a Kumlein's then? ....and the preener... well its big and ugly enough to be a glauc, though it looks like a dirty grey plastic bag.

I still can't find a bird in the bottom pic

1. Herring Gull
2. Great Shearwater
3. Kestrel
4. Ring-billed Gull (only because i don`t want to put herring gull twice)

Hi all,
STILL only one right!No-one has even come close to the genus of No.3(not surprising,as it's the worst photo!).
No.1 may not be quite as large as some think....
Harry H

Hi Jane,
"I'm a bit of an ignoramus on Irish records... has there been a Thayer's Gull in Cork?"
There was a juv.Thayer's in Cork in early 1990,but at the time I wouldn't have even heard of one!I've never seen Thayer's(unless a controversial 2nd-w type large gull at the Lough in 1999 was one,which it may well have been),and all the photos are mine....
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back