• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery gull from Ankara - new photos (1 Viewer)

Kaan Ozgencil

Birdwatcher and ecologist
A friend of mine has sent me some better photos of the gull in http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342957. These photos are all untouched and reveal more details for the head and neck. They might strengthen the current ID or maybe even change it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMGL3546.jpg
    IMGL3546.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGL3551.jpg
    IMGL3551.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGL3552.jpg
    IMGL3552.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGL3553.jpg
    IMGL3553.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
hello again,

the only other contender which can look similar at this time of year would be armenian gull but the dark underwing strongly favours michahellis over armenicus.
you got to take in account that large gulls are extremely variable, especially in their immature plumages, that at this time of year 1st cycle large gulls have strongly worn feathers (and bleached - thus making the 'window', inner primaries, appear stronger) and that underwing shots of immature large gulls give the least amount of hints towards their identity - best is an upperwing shot and a spread tail. as for armenian - this would be rare in ankara and usually has a shorter bill, but again, with a strictly ventral view this is not really possible to assess. i guess you have to keep with this little bit of uncertainty, since the new pics don't reveal anything essentially new.

hello again,

the only other contender which can look similar at this time of year would be armenian gull but the dark underwing strongly favours michahellis over armenicus.
you got to take in account that large gulls are extremely variable, especially in their immature plumages, that at this time of year 1st cycle large gulls have strongly worn feathers (and bleached - thus making the 'window', inner primaries, appear stronger) and that underwing shots of immature large gulls give the least amount of hints towards their identity - best is an upperwing shot and a spread tail. as for armenian - this would be rare in ankara and usually has a shorter bill, but again, with a strictly ventral view this is not really possible to assess. i guess you have to keep with this little bit of uncertainty, since the new pics don't reveal anything essentially new.

Thanks for taking time to write such a detailed reply, Mr.Salomon. I would go with michahellis as well. I will announce the finding today =) Thanks very much for your help. I wish you a pleasant day!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back