• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Material (1 Viewer)

lukes19

Hello all,

Each year I have noticed our blue tits bring in the slightest bit of red nesting material (see pic). I have also noticed this on other images of other people's blue tit nests.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? And more importantly does anyone have any idea why the blue tit feels the need to introduce such slight amount of red nesting material into the box?

Any and all answers would be great

Cheers,

Luke

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-171429_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-171429_Chrome.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 14
They tend to line the nest with soft materials on top of the grass/moss. I guess it provides better insulation and is kinder to the naked skin of the chicks. If you look at blue tit bird cameras on Youtube, they all do this. I've heard people putting out dog hair and the birds are happy to use whatever they can find. Our blue tit last year picked some blue fiber the same colour as herself, which was interesting. This year the blue tit is just up to the stage of having the cup built. We are eager to see what colour of soft material she will use.

Hello all,

Each year I have noticed our blue tits bring in the slightest bit of red nesting material (see pic). I have also noticed this on other images of other people's blue tit nests.

Does anyone have any idea what it is? And more importantly does anyone have any idea why the blue tit feels the need to introduce such slight amount of red nesting material into the box?

Any and all answers would be great

Cheers,

Luke

This was how it looked last year in ours:

IMG_2745.PNG

Hi Oldhui,

Yes I'm in entire agreement with the soft linings of the nest, it's essential to young bluetit nestlings.

But the questions remain, why use a bright material, blue in your instance red in mine. What is the material? And what purpose does it serve?
I thought perhaps it may be something known to the bluetits that repelled mites or lice?
Their must be some reason to it's use over just hair, wool and feathers as a final nest liner?

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Oldhui,

Yes I'm in entire agreement with the soft linings of the nest, it's essential to young bluetit nestlings.

But the questions remain, why use a bright material, blue in your instance red in mine. What is the material? And what purpose does it serve?
I thought perhaps it may be something known to the bluetits that repelled mites or lice?
Their must be some reason to it's use over just hair, wool and feathers as a final nest liner?

Cheers,

Luke
Hi Luke!

I happened to look at the blue material last year when blue tit mom dropped some outside. It is clearly synthetic. My guess is that she just picked up whatever she found in the neighbourhood.

But surely the question remains: Why bright coloured? Is the colour choice universal or a bird-sonal taste?

We are joking saying that she has a taste for blue which is her own colour. I would like to hear from others if their blue tits have a different taste.

Absolutely,

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone can answer, why choose brightly coloured synthetic material, and what purpose does it serve?

My bluetits haven't quite got to the coloured material stage this year, I'll be sure to post when they do

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-111412_CamHi.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-111412_CamHi.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Absolutely,

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone can answer, why choose brightly coloured synthetic material, and what purpose does it serve?

My bluetits haven't quite got to the coloured material stage this year, I'll be sure to post when they do
Our blue tit picked up the same blue material yesterday! However it is gone this morning.
She laid 3 eggs so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 4
Great news regarding the nesting tits.
Mine started a little late this year too.

Strange isn't it. The search goes on for someone to give a definitive answer as to what it is and why they use it. Also curious if it is indeed synthetic where they all manage to find it

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back