• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery tern from Chile (1 Viewer)

i don't know so much about south american terns but a quick search made it very likely that this is a common tern (st. hirundo). i don't think it is the discussed possibility of roseate t. - wouldn't the tail projection be obvious in that species (maybe not in moult)?

Thanks for the comments.

South American Tern can be excluded because this species has a red bill, even in non-breeding plumage. The bird on the picture clearly shows a black bill. So this is most likely a Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) and indeed a good bird for the coast in the Valparaiso area.

Its funny because I see it as smaller than that - I have no knowledge of Southern ocean terns but had turned (no pun intended) to the smaller Least type terns without any joy.

It just goes to show that size can be deceptive.

Hello folks.

This is a young South American Tern. They usually have red bills, but in their first cycle, the bill is black. Common Tern shows a dark patagial bar by the time they get to Chile, and they have a different pattern of dark on the face (less below the eye, more of a sinuous lower edge, giving a headphone effect). Both South American and Common Terns are regular in the Concon area, in October you rarely see adult South Americans, and the first Commons are arriving in the area.

cheers Alvaro Jaramillo

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back