• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nairobi (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Hi

A friend has invited me to visit her home just outside Nairobi for a few weeks some time in August at the end of the rainy season. I'd be staying with her Brother-in-Law who's a local birder and wildlife ''expert''. They live on the edge of a swamp with jungle and there'd be the possibility of us climbing along the Rift V. for a 3 day wildlife expo. Tbh, I'm very undecided ... it would be a first to visit the Continent. Has anyone any experience in this part of Africa? Also, any ideas of the cheapest way to travel (ie Airline?), injections? (apparently there's some malaria tablets you can take now once you get to your destination (or even after!) that are good (although I've been assured there will be no mossies this time of year). I've heard horrendous tales of rather large snakes around the property too - and being rather a wus ..... I'm wondering whether I'd end up on voluntary house arrest!

Anyway any general info would be good to help me decide whether to go (also anyone's view re: political situation, it sounds a little unsettled at the moment)

Hi Deborah

While Nairobi is not exactly my favourite city (the best way to see it is rapidly disappearing in the rear view mirror) Kenya is without any doubt the best place I've ever been birding and if you are even slightly interested in wildlife and you've got half a chance to go, jump at it. The sheer variety and abundance of bird life is bewildering. There is some fantastic birding in the immediate vicinity of Nairobi, the Nairobi National Park for starters (I heard of someone who got 192 lifers on their first day in Africa there!) and the day I spent in the dry country between Nairobi and Magadi is one of the best days I've ever had anywhere, and there are any number of other interesting sites close by. I can't vouch for the political situation at the moment and you should ask your friend's advice on this. I know that BA and Kenya Airways fly to Nairobi from the UK.
But if I were you I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd go back again tomorrow given the chance. There are plenty of people on BF with experience of Kenya who'll come and tell you the same I'm sure.

E

Hi

A friend has invited me to visit her home just outside Nairobi for a few weeks some time in August at the end of the rainy season.

First for the negative...

Nairobi is disgusting crime-ridden hellhole, the less time sent there the better. Do NOT even be tempted to take binoculars out if you fancy a wander in the city or the town parks, you stand a very good chance of regretting it. Actually you stand a real chance of regretting it even if you walk without optics! This said though, although Kenya has very bad rates of crime against tourists, mostly petty, it is true that, if you are under the wings of a friend who lives there, you are unlikely to be affected, as you willl not be reliant on pubic transport and not be entering the cities to change buses, etc.

And the positive...

It's a big positive! Beyond Nairobi though, and this probably includes where your friend lives, Kenya is an amazing country and the end of August to September is a very good time to visit (the Wildebeest migration is underway then too). Birds are everywhere, just sitting in your friends garden will get you more birds than your BIGBY listing has all year, trips into the Rift Valley and major game parks will blow you away.

As for prices, Nairobi is generally the cheapest destination in the region as it is the main fight hub of all East Africa, though note prices will be significantly cheaper not in August, delay till September once the schools in Europe have gone back, prices cheaper and overall better in the country too for wildlife. As for prices in Kenya, quite reasonable, though game parks, etc, not cheap - South Africa is certainly much cheaper in this respect. However, you do not need to be in national parks all the time, many excellent birds and birding sites outside. If you have the possibility though, splash out a little and go to the Masai and the Rift Valley lakes, it would be a real shame to be in Kenya and not see these, they are amongst the real wonders of the world.

With regard malaria, etc, your G.P. or vaccination centre is generally the best place to ask, not a general internet forum - they will ask where you are going and prescribe accordingly.

And the caution...

Though the post-election violence has subsided and all is calm, it is folly to believe the country is over it. Deep-seated tensions existed before the elections, the tensions have been worsened by the senseless slaughters that followed and by the large-scale displacements. With the power-sharing agreement, the lid has been put back on the cauldron, hopefully it will stay there. However, there does exist risk that violence could reignite for any number of reasons, time will tell.

For what it's worth, in the current situation, given the choice of countries in Africa, I would opt for one of the other many amazing countries in Africa, but were I to have a friend there inviting me for a month ;) then I would go. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Go for it!!! I'm sure your friends wouldn't put you in any danger. I'm with Edward, I'd go back tomorrow, if I got the chance.

I,ve been to East Africa a couple of times with my wife, we hardly even saw a mozzie and the only snake we saw was in the talons of a Verreaux's Eagle Owl.

If you go to see the practice nurse at your GP's, she will be able to tell you exactly what jabs you will need.

My website is not that good, but it might wet your appetite for Kenya. http://www.smithssafaris.co.uk/

Many thanks for the excellent advice (and your PM Jos which has been noted!)

If I go, it would have to be mid August as my friend will only be home (in Kenya) during July and August. She suggested August would be better as it's the tail end of the rainy season and good for wildlife rather than July.

It's been my life's dream to go on a safari but A/ wouldn't be able to afford it B/ hate organised tours ... so this would be a great opportunity to go 'ad hoc' and stay with a local 'native' Kenyan birder, plus a good friend who knows the local porters to take us up the RV for a few days too.

I will see what the political situation is like by the end of June, then decide, provided F.O don't actually prevent anyone traveling, I won't be too bothered.

Other slightly depressing issue (and what I'll have to face while I'm there) is what's happening to the Nairobi Park and wildlife vis a vis and pollution from the factories and slow urban sprawl of fenced settlements in Rift Valley (slicing up mig. paths). However, I've been assured poachers are shot on sight so that is one consolation - unfortunately I've been told I can't carry a gun so won't be able to take the law into my own hands! ;)

(ps. thanks for the note re: snakes, Viper)

I will see what the political situation is like by the end of June, then decide, provided F.O don't actually prevent anyone traveling, I won't be too bothered.

The British F.O. never prevents anyone travelling to any countries, they just issue advisories and recommendations (which are, incidently, politically influenced), but at the end of the day it is up to the individual, you are free to travel into whichever country you fancy.

The British F.O. never prevents anyone travelling to any countries, they just issue advisories and recommendations (which are, incidently, politically influenced), but at the end of the day it is up to the individual, you are free to travel into whichever country you fancy.

Jos, I'm not sure the current FO advice regarding Somalia is political. ;)

We advise against all travel to Somalia. We advise any British citizens in Somalia to leave. We are unable to provide consular assistance in Somalia and if the situation deteriorates we will not be able to assist you.

If, despite this advice, you decide to travel to, or remain in, Somalia you do so at your own risk.

You're right of course that no-one is prevented leaving the UK for a destination, whether they get in is another matter.

Oh, and before anyone says it, I know Nairobi is in Kenya.

Jos, I'm not sure the current FO advice regarding Somalia is political. ;)

If you were considering a trip to Somalia and needed a visit to the FO advice page to see whether it is dangerous, then I think you are well on the way to being dead anyhow ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back