• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Portugal: Baixo Alentejo and Castro Marim, 6-9 April (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
I have gotten to know Portugal and its birds reasonably well in recent years, largely because my partner is Portuguese. This trip was largely intended to show my regular birding partner in crime, Sean Nixon from Colchester, the delights of Portuguese birding, and to try to catch up on one or two things I missed on previous visits. The trip was an unmitigated success on both fronts. We stayed in the Residencial Beira Rio in Mertola in Baixo Alentejo, not far from the Spanish border. With Lesser Kestrels, Blue Rock Thrush, Spotless Starling, RR Swallow and other such things viewable from the hotel, it is a cornucopia of delights for the visiting birder!

The birding was superb from start to finish, due, I think, to a combination of weather, the favourable time of year, sheer good luck, and the simple fact that Southern Portugal is outstanding for birding. It was my third visit to the Baixo Alentejo region, having previously been on two separate day trips from the Algarve with "Algarve Birdman" Simon Wates, whose services I unreservedly recommend. This time, I thought I would try staying actually in Baixo Alentejo, rather than day tripping from the Algarve. This meant the birding was fairly leisurely. Although birding was good throughout the day, there was a definite upsurge of activity late afternoon/early evening, and the most rewarding birding was often in the lovely early evening light.

A further point is that all the birds we saw were from public roads: there have been problems in the past with birders entering the out of bounds LPN (Liga para protecção da Natureza) land south of the main road between Castro Verde/Mertola. Such activity is clearly not necessary for seeing the area’s specialities.

Finally, in the info below I’ve tried to strike a balance between providing a decent amount of detail about productive areas, but not giving away locations for sensitive species.

Anyway, here's an account of what we saw:

6th April:

Vasco de Gama Bridge: 2 Greater Flamingo in pools west of the south side of the bridge as we approached the south side

Barocca d'Alva, late morning:

A productive visit to this site near Alocochete, on the south side of the Tejo Estuary, which I had previously visited in January. We saw:
2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Great White Egret, c30 White Stork, c50 Cattle Egret, c40 Glossy Ibis, 2 female Yellow-crowned Bishop (rather underwhelming), c10 Black-headed Weaver (including several nice males), c10 Common Waxbill, 4 Iberian Yellow Wagtail, several Red-rumped Swallow, several of each Common and Pallid Swift, a few Buzzard, 1 Black Kite seen well, Grey Heron, Zitting Cisticola, lots of Spotless Starlings, a few Crested Lark, several Cetti's Warbler, 2 Purple Heron seen well in flight just north of the village.
The undoubted highlight was a male Little Bittern flushed from a ditch just north of the village but, alas, it landed out of view and didn't resurface. At least 2 Squacco Heron were seen well in flight and one seen slightly less well on the ground. Also 1 Hoopoe, several Reed Warbler singing, loads of Black-winged Stilt and Black-tailed Godwit, several Ruff, 3 Green Sandpiper, c30 Spoonbill, lots of Little Egret, a few Kestrel, one female Merlin seen briefly, several Mallard and one first-winter Med Gull.

We stopped very briefly at Ribeira das Enguais, the nearby site which has played host to at least one Red-knobbed Coot recently, but almost all the Coots had dispersed and there was no sign here or anywhere else of Black-shouldered Kite, so we decided to head south towards Castro Verde in Baixo Alentejo.

Lisbon to Castro Verde:
Whilst heading south we saw several White Stork, 2 Booted Eagle, 1 Black Kite, a few Red-rumped Swallows, but not a whole lot else.

Centro de Educação Ambiental de Vale Gonçalinho, north of Castro Verde, late afternoon:
We spent a superb few hours at the LPN educational centre just off the Beja Road a few kms north of Castro Verde, where we walked around the trails through the grassland. This site affords excellent opportunities for seeing several of the area's key species. On approach we saw Woodchat Shrike and several distant Kestrels, which were presumably Lessers. We also saw a Little Bustard in flight briefly from the car on approach to the centre.

Walking around the trails around the centre we saw:
Several of each Crested and Thekla Lark
Loads of Lesser Kestrel - a long overdue lifer, affording great views in and around the obvious nesting tower close to the visitor centre. In general, they were not as distinctive as I expected, perhaps because most of the males seemed to be first summers, and the females are very subtle, although the lack of a moustachial stripe was a reasonably prominent feature.
5 Little Bustard - all in flight and so not seen spectacularly well
c30 Black-bellied Sandgrouse - very active and visible from the farm buildings in the middle of the reserve, and calling lots but, as usual, rarely settling for very long, but views were still good.
34 Great Bustard - a superb flock seen in fields from the main area of farm buildings. Great scope views and one lone bird landed for a while close by.
2+ Montagu's Harrier, showing nicely.
15 or so Calandra Lark, becoming very vocal and active later on, giving excellent scope views.
Also 1 Booted Eagle, Buzzard, Zitting Cisticola, 1 Hoopoe, 2 Woodchat Shrike, Spotless Starling, several Stonechat, loads of Corn Bunting

N123 Castro Verde to Mertola:
Driving along the main road from Castro Verde to Mertola we saw:
C40 Bee-eater, c12 Iberian Grey Shrike, many White Stork, several Black Kite, Hoopoe. The highlight was a superb flock of 43 Great Bustard seen very well from the car on the north side of the road just west of São Marcos da Ataboeira, with a further five seen flying across the road.

Mertola, late pm:
We arrived at our accommodation, the Hotel Residencial Beira Rio which overlooks the Rio Guadania towards the south side of the river. A great place, especially so for birders, as it afforded great views of 10-15 Lesser Kestrels on the abbey to the south, which were present throughout. Also present in and around our hotel throughout were White Stork, numerous Spotless Starlings, lots of Swallows, House Martins and 2 or 3 Red-rumped Swallow, Cetti's Warbler.

7th April

We spent all of today driving around Baixo Alentejo in the area roughly between Castro Verde and Mertola, which was hugely productive.

Birds seen and heard regularly at lots of places throughout the day included Stonechat, Corn Bunting, Thekla Lark, Buzzard, Montagu's Harrier, Black Kite, Iberian Grey Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Hoopoe, Cattle Egret, Red-legged Partridge, White Stork, Zitting Cisticola, Spotless Starling and Collared Dove.

Mertola, am:
After breakfast we walked up to the abbey in Mertola and enjoyed fantastic views of the Lesser Kestrels, and also spied a lovely male Blue Rock Thrush, singing and display flighting, which we saw several times thereafter, including from our hotel balcony. Common Cuckoo heard.

From Mertola we took the road towards São João dos Caldeireiros. A brief stop off this road outside Mertola produced Hoopoe, Quail, Crested Lark, a flyby Stone Curlew, and then from the car a little further west we were astonished to spot a juvenile male Goshawk on a telegraph wire, although it soon took flight and disappeared.

Continuing west, by the village of Namorados, we saw our first big flock of Azure-winged Magpies, and enjoyed a huge colony of Spanish Sparrow in the eucalyptus trees. Spanish Sparrow proved to be common, despite me having failed to see them on previous visits.

The area between São João dos Caldeireiros and Penilhos was very productive. In this general area we saw 8 Black-bellied Sandgrouse, flighty as ever, 2 Great Bustard distant in flight, 3 Great Spotted Cuckoo (a charismatic and long overdue Portugal tick), 1 Short-toed Lark briefly on the track, several Bee-eater, Dartford Warbler heard, several Calandra Lark, 4 Gadwall, Sardinian Warbler heard.

Further north, the area around Aipo and João Serra was also great. We saw 4 more Great Spotted Cuckoo, including one amazingly showy bird at Aipo. Also 3 or 4 Little Bustard heard giving their rasping call, but often proving difficult to see, 3 Crag Martin, loads of Montagu's Harrier, numerous parties of Spanish Sparrow in Stork's nests, 1 Great Bustard seen distantly, and we also saw 2 distant Eurasian Black Vulture (my second ever, and first in this region of Portugal), and no fewer than 7 Montagu's Harrier put on a fantastic display in nearby fields. Also 5 Griffon Vulture, several Lesser Kestrel (and a few unidentified Kestrel sp) Turtle Dove and usuals such as IG Shrike, Thekla Lark etc were also seen in this area.

Back in Penilhos we headed west and stopped just east of the village of Tacões. Here we got great scope views of a Black Vulture in flight (presumably one of the ones seen earlier), and I looked up after hearing an unfamiliar call above me and was delighted to spot c10 Collared Pratincole hawking insects, another very welcome Portugal tick. Several Bee-eater also joined in the feeding frenzy. Driving around we saw a number of Storks’ nests brimming with Spanish Sparrows.

At a further location Sean spotted a superb adult Spanish Imperial Eagle which took flight behind some conifers, eventually gaining height and disappearing, allowing great scope views. Rock and roll. The bird was striking with obvious white shoulders and leading edge to the forewing, and a conspicuous white tail with black terminal band reminiscent of juv Golden Eagle.

Nearby we also saw Short-toed Eagle and 3 Collared Pratincole.

Later on, we ended up heading towards Ourique and turned left down a dirt track leading south from the IP2 between Castro Verde and Ourique. Bad move. The car got stuck in the muddy tracks and we had to summon help. Fortunately this was over within an hour and a bit, despite the pessimistic initial assessment of the Castro Verde car rescue man who came to our aid. Adding Blue Tit and Woodlark to the trip list was pretty scant consolation!

However, it was now late afternoon and despite our mishap there were still a few hours of birding time. Driving along the main road from Castro Verde to São Marcos da Ataboeira a Roller on roadside wires was a delightful Portugal tick, but we were unable to stop and admire it.

We ended the day with another visit to area around Alvares, where saw a further 2 Black-bellied Sandgrouse, a great display from no fewer than 4 Great Spotted Cuckoos, 5 Little Bustard including 1 calling male at medium distance in a field, one distantly in flight and 3 much closer in flight. The "evening chorus" of Thekla Lark, Calandra Lark, Quail and Hoopoe was a delight, as indeed were 6 Stone Curlew and 5 Spoonbill.

Back in Mertola Lesser Kestrel and Blue Rock Thrush remained visible as it got dark.

8th April

Castro Marim

We spent most of the day at this site at the eastern end of the Algarve which I had first visited in December.

We began by doing some birding in the vicinity of the large, but sadly seemingly disused, visitor centre on the east side of the reserve not far from the big bridge across to Spain, which overlooks an expansive area of saltmarsh. In December I was able to walk out across the saltmarsh (which earned me Lesser Short-toed Lark), but the track was cordoned off this time, presumably because of the presence of breeding Little Bustards and other such things.

In any case, viewing across the lagoons and saltmarsh from near the visitor centre we saw:
1 Caspian Tern – fairly distant in flight
An assortment of waders including 2 Curlew Sandpiper, several Little Stint, a few Kentish Plover and Black-winged Stilt, several Grey Plover and at least one of each Greenshank and Spotted Redshank. Also Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Red-rumped Swallow, at least one Sardinian Warbler, House Martin, Crested Lark, Zitting Cisticola, Marsh Harrier, 1 Booted Eagle, 6 Spoonbill, several Avocet, several Shelduck, Turnstone, Sanderling, several Pochard.

A lovely assortment of flava wagtails included 2 or 3 lovely male Iberian Yellow Wagtails and one male Blue-headed Wagtail (the latter of which pass through but don’t, as far as I’m aware, breed in Portugal).

After drawing a blank at first we eventually encountered probably 4 Lesser Short-toed Larks, including at least two showing reasonably well whilst singing and doing a display flight. We did see one on the ground distantly after it landed on a muddy embankment in one of the lagoons, but getting them on the ground in the saltmarsh proved impossible. Still, good scope views were possible in flight, and were much appreciated after having only seen one, badly, back in December. This is the only site in the country where the species occurs, despite the Collins’ distribution map suggesting otherwise!

On some lagoons just south of Castro Marim village we got excellent, indeed point blank, views of a range of waders including Curlew Sand, Little Stint, Dunlin and Kentish Plover.

After lunch we drove round to the Cerro do Bufo lagoon which forms the western part of the reserve. The car park by the salt works looked unpromising, with the exception of one distant Collared Pratincole in flight (you can’t go into the saltworks, even if the Gosney Guide says you can!). Instead, we drove back into Castro Marim village and headed south towards Vila Real de Santo Antonio, and parked by the road about 3km south of Castro Marim. From here, we walked along the well marked track that leads west along the river, and soon takes you along the north side of the Cerro do Bufo saltpans. The only problem here is that you are a bit low down, and so it’s not always easy to see the birds above the large muddy embankments separating the different saltpans. Nonetheless, we saw:
About 6 Whimbrel and a few Curlew, several Bar-tailed Godwit, loads of Greater Flamingo, Great Spotted Cuckoo heard, 2 Hoopoe, 1 Sandwich Tern, several Turnstone, several Little Egret and Spoonbill, several Yellow-legged and BH Gull, Spotless Starling, 1 Montagu’s Harrier. The highlight, however, were 2 lovely adult Slender-billed Gulls, which Sean spotted on the lagoon in front of us whilst I was scanning through distant BHGs! These afforded superb close views, and were a much appreciated lifer after I dipped them at the same place in December. As with LST Lark, this is the only regular site in Portugal. Brilliant.

After our SBG triumph we had another look at the photogenic waders outside Castro Marim and headed north towards Mertola, seeing loads of Azure-winged Magpies in the process.

There was still a fair bit of daylight left, so we decided to pop back into the Baixo Alentejo for some more light birding.

Approaching Namorados from the east we jammed in on a superb Black-shouldered Kite on a telegraph pole by the side of the road, which gave us fantastic close views. At the same spot we heard Little Bustard and Quail, and saw 2 Little Grebe.

From there we continued west and once again explored some productive spots from yesterday. In one spot we saw all the following:

We heard and saw 2 Black-bellied Sandgrouse and at least one Little Bustard in flight. 1 Little Owl on some roadside rocks was a trip tick, and we heard – but didn’t see – a few Great Spotted Cuckoos. The Thekla and Calandra Larks were out in force, and we also saw 2 Raven.

The highlight, though, were the raptors. Several Montagu’s Harrier were knocking around. Two large aquila eagles eventually gave themselves up as Golden Eagles. One of them – a first winter – flew towards us and drifted fairly low over our heads, allowing fantastic close views. The first definite Golden Eagles I’ve seen in Portugal, after seeing one aquila eagle probably of this species back in 2009. One aquila eagle, probably one of the Goldens, flew past us to the south, but I couldn’t entirely rule out a subadult Spanish Imperial Eagle.

Then, one Short-toed Eagle appeared above the skyline and continued to show well for an extended period, soon followed by a fantastic subadult Bonelli’s Eagle, which afforded excellent scope views as it gradually drifted away from us. Generally quite a distinctive bird, perhaps a little featureless in relation to plumage, but with a distinctive wing shape, and showing a prominent white patch on the mantle. Underparts fairly pale, but dusky red-brown rather than white, and thus not an adult. A little later, however, one of the original Golden Eagles reappeared nearby and was joined in the same thermal by a lovely adult Bonelli’s, looking very smart in the evening light despite being a little further away, the gleaming white underparts contrasting with the dark underwing, and the white mantle patch also very conspicuous.

Finally, as the sun was setting, an adult Spanish Imperial Eagle appeared and gave us outstanding scope views for an extended period, at times interacting with the Short-toed Eagle. We also briefly saw it alighted on a rock. What a sensational birding moment!

Mertola, late pm:
Arriving back into Mertola late on, as it was getting dark, we checked the Oeiras gorge, but saw very little. However, we did encounter a lovely pair of Black-eared Wheatears in a car park on the outskirts of the town, the male in particular a really smart bird, and the first ones I had seen since 2009. From the same spot we saw several Lesser Kestrel, Serin and one male Blue Rock Thrush.

9th April

Early am Lesser Kestrels, White Stork, Spotless Starling and Red-rumped Swallow were all seen from the hotel, and then en route to Faro airport we saw loads of Azure-winged Magpies, as well as Crested Lark, Hoopoe and Iberian Grey Shrike.

Attachments

• 100_6173.JPG
    100_6173.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Here are some rubbish photos.

Attachments

• 100_6108 [50%].JPG
    100_6108 [50%].JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_6121 [50%].JPG
    100_6121 [50%].JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_6133 [50%].JPG
    100_6133 [50%].JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_6161 [50%].JPG
    100_6161 [50%].JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_6148 [50%].JPG
    100_6148 [50%].JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 110
Nice one Jonathan... you had a really good time ;)

I was out there on the 8th too...and stopped at the place you mentioned to see if the Collared Pratincoles were back - they "weren't" - must have been away hawking. The raptors have been superb - and no need for locations really - its just keep ones eyes to the skies

Last edited:
Nice report!

I was guilty of entering LPN land when I went. Have they put any signs up yet saying access is prohibited? It might stop genuinely mistaken birders like me from going in. Wouldn't take much to do that.

Thanks Simon. And yes, it was certainly the case that pretty much everywhere we stopped proved to be productive. A lot of the raptors were a bit distant/heat-hazey much of the time but we saw every species well in the end...

Wolfbirder, fair play, I'm not too sure about current situation re LPN land. I do remember seeing one big closed gate with the LPN logo along the main road between Castro Verde and Mertola, but not sure about signage on other tracks...

Thanks Simon. And yes, it was certainly the case that pretty much everywhere we stopped proved to be productive. A lot of the raptors were a bit distant/heat-hazey much of the time but we saw every species well in the end...

Wolfbirder, fair play, I'm not too sure about current situation re LPN land. I do remember seeing one big closed gate with the LPN logo along the main road between Castro Verde and Mertola, but not sure about signage on other tracks...

Hi,

I understand now that one should not enter the LPN gates or land, and I know it's sensitive because local farmers need to access them, and they often just leave gates open.

You can literally stumble upon them. It would be simple to erect some sort of signage at the few key access points.

Anyway, its a wonderful area for birding, simply wonderful - probably my favourate anywhere in Europe. The rolling meadows are simply so enticing and a joy to bird. Glad you had such a fantastic break.

Nice report!

I was guilty of entering LPN land when I went. Have they put any signs up yet saying access is prohibited? It might stop genuinely mistaken birders like me from going in. Wouldn't take much to do that.

That's the problem - because the LPN cannot stop farmers who need thoroughfare its not an easy task to legally prohibit the beneral public. They have prepared some blank brick wall spaces by the gates, painted white, specifically to supply info (inc in English) regarding access (or not). Trouble is the authorities have been taking so long issuing the LPN a license for the sign-age - crazy I know but they have been waiting years!

It is completely understandable that folk inadvertently wander in the gates as a certain guidebook, popular with UK birders, points people through the gates almost as if its THE place to see Great Bustards - this is a problem! It has even got to the level that the relatively few hectares of LPN land off the N123 that everybody see has the nickname in English (only), "Bustard reserve". This is ridiculous because the "Bustard reserve" is actually the 800 square kms of the SPA Castro Verde and they can be seen in countless places.

I always recommend - especially to first time visitors to the area, a visit to the LPN's environmental reception centre - Vale Gonçalinho - its off the Beja road some 6kms north of Castro Verde. Almost everything can be seen here and much can be learned about the whole area.

I always recommend - especially to first time visitors to the area, a visit to the LPN's environmental reception centre - Vale Gonçalinho - its off the Beja road some 6kms north of Castro Verde. Almost everything can be seen here and much can be learned about the whole area.

Absolutely. I was very impressed with the LPN Vale Gonçalinho visitor centre. Point blank views of lesser kestrels, and we also had great views of both bustards, BB Sandgrouse, Monty's Harrier, Thekla and Calandra Larks, plus a few commoner bits and bobs...

Super report Jonathan
It remains an ambition of ours to visit in spring.
Also agree with your comments about Simon's services.
He gets you straight to the heart of the birding.
Thanks for sharing.
Mick

That's the problem - because the LPN cannot stop farmers who need thoroughfare its not an easy task to legally prohibit the beneral public.

I would like to point out that in Portugal there are the so-called public tracks (like public roads but unsurfaced) and there are the private ones. Theoretically no owner can prevent anyone from the right of access through public tracks (although some often do) but they can rightly block access on private tracks.

The main problem here is distinguishing between public and private tracks. There are usually no signs or any other clear way of telling them apart and in most cases it is not clear at all whether a track is public or not; the empirical but highly subjective rule that often applies is this: if a path / track has 'always' been used by people (whatever 'always used' means), then it is public; if a track leads to a beach / river / village or any other public place then it is public; if a track only serves a private house or piece of land and leads nowhere else, then it is private. This seems easy at first sight, but in many cases it is not clear at all and if an owner claims that a public track is actually private it is very difficult to prove it otherwise.

In the specific case of LPN land I am not sure which tracks are public and which are not. Probably there are some of both.

Gonçalo, I have always understood that if a landowner wants to prohibit free access than he must erect a sign saying no entrance/private or similar. If there is no sign, he is effectively granting access - although the landowner always reserves the right to ask folk to leave (which in effect is extremely rare).

The case with the LPN is just as you put it - and as most of their tracks actually involve thoroughfare or access to other properties its very complicated for them to legally prohibit access - though they do request emphatically that birders etc do not use their land for leisure.

Gonçalo, I have always understood that if a landowner wants to prohibit free access than he must erect a sign saying no entrance/private or similar. If there is no sign, he is effectively granting access - although the landowner always reserves the right to ask folk to leave (which in effect is extremely rare).

The case with the LPN is just as you put it - and as most of their tracks actually involve thoroughfare or access to other properties its very complicated for them to legally prohibit access - though they do request emphatically that birders etc do not use their land for leisure.

Simon,

please excuse my ignorance - but what does "use the land for leisure" imply?

I appreciate irresponsible birders and some photographers who get too close are damaging, and that this is what your concern is, but the track off the N123 to the village of Guerreira (is that how it is spelt?) for example, is surely public then? But I appreciate that this is where the LPN gates are.

Simon,

please excuse my ignorance - but what does "use the land for leisure" imply?

I appreciate irresponsible birders and some photographers who get too close are damaging, and that this is what your concern is, but the track off the N123 to the village of Guerreira (is that how it is spelt?) for example, is surely public then? But I appreciate that this is where the LPN gates are.

Hi Nick - my use of "using the land for leisure" is simply meant to mean any activity (including birding) apart from farmers going to work or LPN folk carrying out work. The LPN request that public don't access the track (Monte do Guerreiro) you mention. Actually, just driving up here can all too often put up Great Bustards leks - I remember this happening up to about 2005, which was more or less when the LPN decided to try and close the track to the public.
There is no need to use this track - better known as the one going from São Marcos - as there are many places where the birds can be seen nicely from other roads and tracks. I feel its quite nice to think there is a substantial area (though tiny in context with whole SPA) out of bounds.

Of course the LPN need to put up signs (very complex) - but in the meantime they are asking folks not to go in. Another reason for requesting folk not to go inside this and some other LPN land is that they themselves create "disturbance" - ringing (esp Lesser Kestrel) and so-forth.

Hallelujah

The LPN have fixed a really nice information panel at the entrance to the track that David Gosney indicates in his guide - opposite the village of São Marcos.

I stopped there yesterday to take a photo of it but my point and shoot had a drained battery - next time I go past I'll take one and post it here.

Basically, the panel explains the sensitivity of the area in Portuguese and English and states that the area has restricted access. Anyone wanting to go in may do so only with the LPN and should contact them or visit the visitors centre (Centro de Educação Ambiental de Vale Gonçalinho).

So - finally I don't need to keep telling folk not to enter this area - what a relief!

The LPN have fixed a really nice information panel at the entrance to the track that David Gosney indicates in his guide - opposite the village of São Marcos.

I stopped there yesterday to take a photo of it but my point and shoot had a drained battery - next time I go past I'll take one and post it here.

Basically, the panel explains the sensitivity of the area in Portuguese and English and states that the area has restricted access. Anyone wanting to go in may do so only with the LPN and should contact them or visit the visitors centre (Centro de Educação Ambiental de Vale Gonçalinho).

So - finally I don't need to keep telling folk not to enter this area - what a relief!

Be worth them putting a sign up at the Guerreiro end as well, as people may stumble upon the gates and Bustard symbol that I think are at that end too. I stumbled across the open gate there after approaching from Alcaria & Viseus side, simply investigating the area. A farmer and his sons went through, left the gates wide open, were as noisy as hell.

But that's a good start.

The only problem with recommending people stick to the official centre off the E802 is that I have never seen Great Bustards there in 4 visits. It was certainly the best area tho for Little Bustards.

Not saying that is normal, but was for me.

Be worth them putting a sign up at the Guerreiro end as well, as people may stumble upon the gates and Bustard symbol that I think are at that end too. I stumbled across the open gate there after approaching from Alcaria & Viseus side, simply investigating the area. A farmer and his sons went through, left the gates wide open, were as noisy as hell.

But that's a good start.

Yes Nick, though there may be signs there already - I didn't look. Most people come in from São Marcos anyway - so that's the most important one for letting folk know. I'm sure the LPN are to put up more stuff yet.

Its totally understandable that folk wander in innocently - especially as some info around recommends this track (without mentioning the LPN I may add).

The farmers will leave the gates open sometimes - though its not really neglect, they will know if sheep can get out or not and regularly open the gates to herd the sheep to other grazing spots.

The LPN haven't yet managed to get the farmers to speak quietly ;) but they have achieved much with the farming community - a great relationship in fact and this is fundamental to the area's conservation

The only problem with recommending people stick to the official centre off the E802 is that I have never seen Great Bustards there in 4 visits. It was certainly the best area tho for Little Bustards.

Not saying that is normal, but was for me.

I thinks its interesting for people to inform themselves at the LPN centre - there is lots of nice info about the SPA's birdlife available, which will help visitors find lots of stuff more easily.

Great Bustard can be seen in scores of localities all over the SPA - no need to visit São Marcos track or the LPN centre for these. To see Great Bustards near the LPN centre its best to ask the folks at the LPN and take the track (walking only) for 1km up to ruined farm buildings - from here one can usually view them. In the breeding season its best to view 50m or so from the ruin as a few Lesser Kestrels nest here and sometimes Roller.

The habitats are fabulous and the area is beautiful - now in the spring with oceans of wildflowers. I certainly would never discourage anyone from going to the centre.

This walk should be taken slow pace as its great for Lesser Kestrels, Montagu's Harriers, Roller, Calandra and Thekla Larks, Melodious Warbler, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Little Bustard and sometimes BB Sandgrouse - at the end of the other track to the top of another low hill. Black Kites will be around and often Booted and Short-toed Eagles. The centre and nearby is well worth a couple of hours.

A visitor to the centre is also an opportunity to find out about the LPN's birdlife projects and meet the charming staff, who will be very helpful. Its also a chance for contributing buy buying a book, map or T shirt or even dropping a little something in the donations tin ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back