• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia - Waterberg - Hopeless Cases (1 Viewer)

Jacob12

Namibia
Okay, so here's the ones that I don't expect much from. All seen in mid-March at Waterberg NP in central Namibia

1. Diurnal Raptor- Is it possible to get to genus?
2. Female Sunbird - Is it possible to ID to species?
3-4. Common Buzzard? (more photos available, if helpful)
5. I really have no idea, maybe a barbet or puffback? That bill sure does look blue, but that doesn't match any bird in the book. Found in thick green forest, and was briefly seen at the top of a tree and then diving down into the branches. Bigger than a nearby African Paradise Flycatcher.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 2.png
    2.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 3.png
    3.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 4.png
    4.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 5.png
    5.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 43
1. Bin it. Immature southern pale chanting-gos?? Who could ever tell.
3-4. Looks slightly more interesting than a buzzard. Dunno.
5. White-browed sparrow-weaver. I expect.

2. Sunbird: scarlet-chested, Marico, white-bellied - presumably one of those - but I wouldn't put faith at all in this photo actually representing the underparts correctly.
3-4. I guess immature steppe-type buzzard. But intermediate-morph booted eagle also occurs to me - or doesn't that exist any more?! :unsure: a dark pale-morph one?

Last edited:
Thanks for the guesses. Would you be able to see the 'landing lights' on a booted eagle from this angle?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 5.00.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 5.00.16 PM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 41
Oh! Same bird, I take it. That really doesn't look like a buzzard. More pics still? (please).
Does not look like the same bird to me. The two initial images had inner primaries much paler than the outer but more importantly also paler than secondaries. That effect is gone in the third image.

Could we please have original times for these images?

Niels

Could we please have original times for these images?
They are all the same bird. I took a series of images between 10:08 and 10:09 and these photos all came from that burst. It was the only soaring raptor I photographed that day. I don't upload full-size images because data is very expensive and limited here in Namibia. (Edit: I realized I could just screenshot with the metadata displayed next to the photo)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 6.45.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 6.45.17 AM.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 6.45.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 6.45.37 AM.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
In addition to Butty's list of sunbirds, Dusky can be added. But I agree that there is not enough to I'd it here, although the beak shape would exclude a few options

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back