• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia - What to do about Cisticolas (1 Viewer)

Jacob12

Namibia
Here in Windhoek, SASOL says there are 4 types of cisticolas: Zitting and Desert (short-tailed group), and Rattling and Tinkling (streak-backed group). The illustrations look different enough, but when I go into the sample photographs to quiz myself its like 4 of the same bird.

Below are two individuals (1), (2-3) from Avis Dam in Windhoek. Both Desert and Rattling are common at the site, with Zitting being less common and Tinkling being rare.

I think the individual in pics 2-3 may be Rattling due to the decurved bill, relatively long tail, and weak supercilium. I think the individual in picture 1 is Zitting/Desert

Does anyone have advice for photographing cisticolas for ID purposes? Do I need to try to record audio each time I see one to be more sure of IDs?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 2.png
    2.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 3.png
    3.png
    7 MB · Views: 11
Or you could do what I do... walk away from them and go look for some worthwhile birds :(
1. Seems to show some contrasting black on tail-tip which might favour zitting cisticola.
2-3. I would agree with rattling cisticola for the reasons you give - but it doesn't have black tail-tip, which yours does have. Or do upper- and undersides of tail-tip differ? No idea. You may perhaps have also to consider grey-backed cisticola.
Have you got the Chamberlain's LBJs book/ebook? I don't know it, but I assume it helps a lot with this stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back