• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Hi All

Been to South Africa for a couple of weeks and have upped my bird count by around 70. Beautiful country with beautiful birds. I need a help on a few that I cannot work out, always hard when birding in a country when you have no experience at all. Sometimes I didn't even know where to start until I got my head round the various generic possibilities:

All taken in the last two weeks.

1. is causing me problems working out roughly what it is. This was photographed in Swellendam. Cape Grassbird or Cisticola both look possibilities? Short tail puts me off the Grassbird, but for the territory that only leaves Leivallant's. Is this correct?

2. Taken on the Amakhala game reserve. I think that this is an Immature Pale Chanting Goshawk? Anyone confirm please?

3. Taken in Port Alfred. Again I think that this is a Cisticola and so tend towards the Leivallant's becasue of distrubution. Any one confirm please?

4. Again Port Alfred. I think it might be a Sombre Grreenbul, Merlin is reporting Cape Bulbul, but I think it is getting a white eye ring confused with a white eye....

Thanks in advance!!

regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40