• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nashville Warbler? (1 Viewer)

birdbath

Canada
Location is Ottawa, Canada. Saw it on a tree outside my home this afternoon. Merlin IDs it as a Nashville Warbler, but could it be an immature female Mourning Warbler, Yellow Warbler, or Common Yellowthroat?

Attachments

• Nashville Warbler.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 79
Or indeed (pretty much) any bill 🙄
Yes. The point is really that is it were mourning warbler we would see some indication of this (bill) even in a picture of this quality. It's not that species for other reasons too of course

is it were mourning warbler we would see some indication of this (bill) even in a picture of this quality
So... In a photo where the bill is (pretty much) invisible, we could expect to judge whether or not the bill is 'clearly 2-toned'. Well, we disagree on that point 👍🏻

So... In a photo where the bill is (pretty much) invisible, we could expect to judge whether or not the bill is 'clearly 2-toned'. Well, we disagree on that point 👍🏻
No. The two-toned nature of the bill would mean that you'd be able to see something of "a bill" in this picture. Quite what the bill pattern was would likely be impossible to determine.

I still have to say I agree with Butty, I'm pretty sure we can't see anything regarding the bill that would help identification.

After your explanation at #8 (for which, thank you), I'm sure I've followed you exactly - and I'm sure I disagree with you completely in assuming that you'd be bound to see a bill, if it was 2-toned, in a photo of such low quality that (what may or may not be) a 1-toned bill is (pretty much) not visible at all. So that's fine 👍🏻

(oh dear. Just in case anyone cares, let's be clear here too. The bird is not a mourning warbler. If it were, I think we would probably see some evidence of its bill in the op image, (taking its quality into account) because the bill kinda stands out in that species. But perhaps the quality is too low and we wouldn't. Since this bird is not a mourning warbler we will never know for certain.

We are agreed on the id. Shall we leave it there or does butty need to have the last word?)

Yes. The point is really that is it were mourning warbler we would see some indication of this (bill) even in a picture of this quality. It's not that species for other reasons too of course
Um.... arguments are so confusing? I'm sorry, I just don't have enough brain cells to deal with this.

Nashville bills are quite fine and pointed unlike Mourning or Yellow Warbler’s, therefore imo a less than perfect (full resolution) image would be the perfect candidate for a “disappearing” bill!
This was a problem I had with my old camera, often the body was ok-ish but, when the proximity to the “subject” (usually small birds) was further than closer, often the bills would (light dependant) almost disappear.
I don’t seem to have that problem with my new cam now, in all other respects Nashville for me.👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back