• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Florida - warbler help (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

We're back in our winter season in Florida with lots of additional birds passing through or staying for the winter months - as usual, some of the warblers still mix me up, with the non-breeding colors and immature/female colors. These two warblers I wasn't sure on and would appreciate IDs:

1. Initially thought palm warbler, but the grey head didn't seem right - then thought maybe female or immature magnolia:
original.jpg

2. Initially I thought I was seeing a yellow-rumped, but that bold black bit around the beak and under the eye made me wonder if it could be an immature magnolia or something else - then again, the two yellowish bits on the chest-breast area seemed more like yellow-rumped:
original.jpg

Thank you in advance for any IDs.

Hi. I think pic 2, as you mentioned, could be an immature Yellow rumped? It looks like the malar/cheek markings are just starting to form? The streaking on the breast/side and yellow marking, also look pretty good..... I'm not 100%, though! Be good to hear other people's opinions/views.

Thank you both. Orange-crowned for #1 - I seem to always overlook that choice because I'm used to them being much more yellow - but immature start out much less colored.

Good to hear on the yellow-rumped ID that I was along the right instinct.

Superb orange-crowned photo! We don't see many of the gray-headed subspecies here in AZ - most of our wintering birds are more yellow-green. Only tim I've ever seen the orange crown was on those bathing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back