• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ndumo Game Reserve – Current Status? (1 Viewer)

Tamir

Hello,

We are planning a trip to SA next year. We will spend a few days in Kruger NP and then head south to the KwaZulu-Natal province to do some birding. At the moment we plan to Visit Ndumo GR, Mkhuze GR and St. Lucia (if time will be sufficient).

I know that in Ndumo there were conflicts between local land owners and the reserve management in the past and as I understand the border fence was destroyed couple of times.

My question is, does anyone know what is the current status in Ndumo? Does it safe to travel there, and if yes, is it still worth a travel or whether much of the reserve was destroyed?

Thanks,

- Tamir

Hi Tamir,

I had some guests stay at Ndumo in October and they had a great time. The birdlife is really good, and to my knowledge there has never been any risks to tourists visiting the park. You can possibly contact KZN Wildlife directly to get a more accurate update - http://www.kznwildlife.com/old/index.php?/Ndumo-Game-Reserve-Overview.html

If you decide to give Ndumo a miss then the nearby Tembe Elephant Park is a very good alternative, and you will have opportunities of seeing lions and elephant while seeing birds such as Pink-throated Twinspots, Neergards Sunbird and Rufous-winged Cisticola. You would however need a 4x4 to gain access to Tembe.

Also the birds you are likely to see in Ndumo can also be found at Mkhuze GR. This is only if you feel you dont have the time to visit Ndumo, or you prefer to avoid the area.

Thanks safariranger,

This is very encouraging.

Unfortunately we are not planning to rent a 4x4 so we will have to skip Tembe Elephant Park.
We do however plan to visit Mkhuze GR.

I do hope that a solution will be found in Ndumo, that will be satisfied for both the animals and the local farmers.

Thanks again,

- Tamir

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back