• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nectar feeder design question (1 Viewer)

becksnyc

United States
Hi,
I purchased a hummingbird feeder which is poorly designed, but past the return window. The nectar level is below where our male hummingbirds tongue can reach. I'd like to retrofit it, but need to know what regulates the level of the liquid. I'm not an engineer. :) If it's related to the depth of the container, I can change that, but if there's some interaction with internal air pressure, I'm out of my depth.
I can attach pics if anyone has this kind of expertise to share.
Thanks

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m sorry I can’t help.

Hi, welcome to the forum. You might know this, but hummingbirds tongues are much longer than the beak would lead you to think, if the beak reaches the nectar it is fine. Can you post a picture of the feeder? And links are fine to share.

Hi, welcome to the forum. You might know this, but hummingbirds tongues are much longer than the beak would lead you to think, if the beak reaches the nectar it is fine. Can you post a picture of the feeder? And links are fine to share.
So, we have two bird feeders. A little male arrived about a week ago; I think he was raised here last year, so is under 1 year old.
He feeds daily at the back feeder (a different design). He tried on the front feeder on day 1 & 2, but after that only hovered briefly near it and moved on for the rest of the week.
I checked the holes to make sure there were no sharp edges. Then I used a toothpick to determine how far the liquid was from the exterior of the hole (17mm). I found another review mentioning the same issue. Here's the link to the feeder:

Although I do have a life list, I'm not very list-oriented. I am more interested in observing and recording life cycles, behaviors and habits of birds. I'm doing a birdsong recording project as well.

My favorite nature quotes:
“To learn something new, take the path that you took yesterday.”
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
― John Burroughs

My bird observations in the mountains of Appalachia:

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Lisa is correct. Hummers have very long tongues so you probably won't have a problem with the feeder.

I’m not saying you are incorrect. I will say that hummingbirds will go to feeders or avoid them for more than one reason. Just because one bird does not feed at a feeder means it is bad. Almost 4,000 reviews of that feeder on your link and most are 4/5 star.

I’m not saying you are incorrect. I will say that hummingbirds will go to feeders or avoid them for more than one reason. Just because one bird does not feed at a feeder means it is bad. Almost 4,000 reviews of that feeder on your link and most are 4/5 star.
Thank you, I will try it again later in the season when there are others less finicky.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back