• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying a bird. (1 Viewer)

Marko17

United States
Hello I am new to the store forum and asking for help from people more knowledgeable than me on the subject. I have come across a midsize grayish bird, with black markings on its wings, a white patch underneath the chin, two white stripes underneath those on its throat to head is predominantly black. The bird was also nesting on the ground and did a territorial display when I came close to it . Now I've grown up in the countryside in life which war I've seen almost every type of bird native to Missouri which is where we're located. And I looked it up in the department of conservation and cannot find a bird that matches at closest one would be Canadian blue bird and type of woodpecker both seem similar but not exactly the same does anyone got any information that could help me. Because never come across a ground-nesting bird in Missouri and as our Winters are pretty harsh I'm pretty sure it's not going to survive. I know there's burrowing owls in Missouri. It's definitely not a type of raptor if my mom worked at the world bird sanctuary I've seen every type of raptor native to Missouri and it is not a ground burrowing owl I do not know what it is but I need to know if I need to call a bird sanctuary as the bird didn't fly either it possibly injured but I didn't want to get too close and stress it.

Hi, Marko. Welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I am going to move this to the bird ID forum where it should help get an ID. If the bird can’t fly I would definitely call a rehab center.

Hi Marko. If you try and give us an indication of the bird's size and shape it might help us imagine what it looks like. For example was it slim with a long beak and a long tail or plump with a short beak and short tail. What did you mean by mid-sized? Robin-sized perhaps? That kind of thing all helps us picture the bird a bit better. Any clues as to how it behaved, like if it perched in trees, or how it flew can also be a big help.

Hi Marko and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. I agree with Lisa, it might be best to call the wildlife rescue people; I doubt it's nesting at this time of year though, with winter upon us.

Take a look at Killdeer. It is a ground nesting bird that might fit your description and gives a distraction display if you approach its nest too closely. Although it is found among the shorebirds in a field guide, it is often found nesting well away from water. This is certainly late in the season for any bird to be nesting in Missouri.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back