• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying bird (1 Viewer)

CarysStokes

(I'm new to this forum so I'm not 100% sure if I uploaded the image but I hope I did!)

Hi, so, earlier on my sister came home with a small bird that she thought was injured. I'm not sure what's wrong with him/her but it seems as though it's having trouble flying. Very friendly and docile! I've had it here since about 11am and have been feeding it cat food. I didn't want to feed it anything else as I'm not sure what type of bird it is! Does anyone know? What does this bird eat? How old? Advice?

Ah the moment I've got the bird in a fairly large hamster cage with some old news papers and the cat food in there with it along with a small bowl of water. I feel guilty keeping it but I also feel awful about letting it out in the wild when it can't fly. He seems to have no issues eating. Thank you for any help and advice it's greatly appreciated! Also just to let anyone know I've contacted the local vet and they refused to do anything as did the rspb. There are no local bird care shelters (?) around here that I know of.

Attachments

• IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Unfortunately the photo did not post. It sounds like a fledgling bird, and you should probably put it back where you found it.

It is a juvenile bird, but from the photo I'm not sure which species. The reason it is not a strong flier is because it has only just left the nest and needs more practice.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is normally to leave the bird alone - the adults will normally be nearby and will continue to feed it, but may not feel safe if you are nearby. The adults are much better at caring for their young than any person would be.

Although you've picked the bird up already, the adults may still be outside looking for it. I recommend that you put the bird back where you found it or very nearby (where it is safe from cats and traffic). Hopefully the adults will find it and will start to feed it again. Try not to disturb them, so keep your distance from the young bird or stay indoors and watch from afar.

It is a juvenile bird, but from the photo I'm not sure which species. The reason it is not a strong flier is because it has only just left the nest and needs more practice.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is normally to leave the bird alone - the adults will normally be nearby and will continue to feed it, but may not feel safe if you are nearby. The adults are much better at caring for their young than any person would be.

Although you've picked the bird up already, the adults may still be outside looking for it. I recommend that you put the bird back where you found it or very nearby (where it is safe from cats and traffic). Hopefully the adults will find it and will start to feed it again. Try not to disturb them, so keep your distance from the young bird or stay indoors and watch from afar.

I second this advice - put it back asap in as safe a location as possible.
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back