• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID on two birds in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

sirto

1. What type of black bird? Looks like starling but probably a juvi blackbird of some type
2. white bird with raptor like beak. Is it a juvi?

Attachments

• starling.JPG
    starling.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9907.JPG
    IMG_9907.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
You don't say where in Costa Rica this is (and that's important). However, 1) looks like immature sooty thrush (pale eye, buffy streaks and barring, yellow legs) 2) is a loggerhead shrike. This would be a very rare bird for Costa Rica: are you sure the photo is from there? If it definitely is, it'd be worth reporting the sighting—with full details of date, time, place etc of course.

I checked the camera data and the picture of the thrush was taken on 6/5/2019 around Parque Nacional Los Quetzales. Feel free to use the picture.

As to the other picture . My sincere apologies but after checking the date I see that my camera dumped some pictures into the folder it used for the Costa Rica trip (some additional ones from a local trip). I thought that looked like a loggerhead shrike but was fooled because it was overexposed so I didn't see the grey on the head and back plus I didn't think they were in Costa Rica.

I checked the camera data and the picture of the thrush was taken on 6/5/2019 around Parque Nacional Los Quetzales. Feel free to use the picture.

As to the other picture . My sincere apologies but after checking the date I see that my camera dumped some pictures into the folder it used for the Costa Rica trip (some additional ones from a local trip). I thought that looked like a loggerhead shrike but was fooled because it was overexposed so I didn't see the grey on the head and back plus I didn't think they were in Costa Rica.
done...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back