• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - Adventure Park San Luis (NW of San Jose) (1 Viewer)

JimW59

United States
My first post on birdforum, hopefully it is not bad manners to ask about 5 birds in one post?

These pics were taken on Jan 15. This was my first visit to Costa Rica. I was only at this park for 2 hours (cruise ship excursion), but got at least 25 new species. Also some spectacular wall-worthy pics. Trying to ID pics from an area you've never been to can be a challenge, but I'm confident I got most of them right. However, I'm looking for help/confirmation on 5 birds.

Bird 1 - I'm thinking this is a Gray-capped Flycatcher. However, while common in Costa Rica, I don't see many sightings in this particular area so I thought I'd check. I attached 2 pictures (the second is its back as it was ducking away).

Bird 1 - pic 1.jpg

Bird 1 - pic 2.jpg

Bird 2 - Took this pic near some hummingbird feeders. On first glance, I thought it was too chubby to be a hummer (I'm not being judgmental here). However, the wings and tail look hummer-like to me. Give the flash of white on the tail, I'm wondering if it is a White-necked Jacobin? Or maybe its not even a hummer...

Bird 2.jpg

Bird 3 - maybe a Tennessee Warbler?

Bird 3.jpg

Bird 4 - Philadelphia Vireo?

Bird 4.jpg

Bird 5 - Carmiol’s Tanager?

Bird 5.jpg

Many thanks in advance!!!

Bird 1 is a chlorospingus, probably common although I can't see enough to rule out sooty-capped
Bird 2 assuming it's a hummer then white-necked Jacobin
Bird 5 agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back