• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need inpt. Will spend up to $700 (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

wat is the best spotting scope for No More than $700 must be angled EP and perfer 20-60x80 will go smaller if it is a wise move. Weight and size not a issue want best optics. I have been looking at the Alpen 20-60x80 Rainier Waterproof Spotting Scope w/ HD ED Optics & 45 degree Eyepiece (853ED) and the Leupold Kenai 30x, 25-60x80mm HD Spotting Scope Angled what is recommended and where to buy it. Thanks I just had to ask my head is starting to spin from all the looking. I really like both scopes mentioned but have only seen the leupold in person and focus was a tad stiff but it was brand new. Have not seen the Alpen I do own the Alpen 788 and it is a great optic for the $. Thanks Taz

I think you probably picked two of the best options considering your preferences/price restriction. The only one I would add to the list is the Celestron Regal F-ED 20-60x80.

Thanks for the PM Frank. I bought the Alpen sight unseen. I have the 788 and it really is great fro less than $400 and when I called alpen yesterday and asked some questions CS answered the phone quickly and was able to speak with a tech guy in seconds. Also when I mentioned that I lost my eyepiece cover they are sending one out free of charge. They have top notch service. I tried to contact Leupold over 50 min wait not a good sign. Leupod made in china alpen rainer HD Ed made in Japan :) . I bought the Alpen 853ED from ANACORTES www.buytelescopes.com $699 no tax no shipping best deal around. I will post full review on the 853ED after I get it and will compare to the 877 and the Leupold Kenai. Have to give a thumbs up to buytelescopes.com they were very friendly and helpful top notch service. First time ever dealing with them I pulled the trigger right then and there. I was so close from buying from Opticsplanet but never got a feeling that they knew their optics and never felt a real welcome from them. I work phone sales for HP and I know what good customer service / sales is all about and OP feel short where buytelescopes.com a small family business in washington knocked it out of the park.

Well got the Alpen 853 Ed HD today and it is lighter and slightly smaller than the 788. It is dark here so I was not able to perform a real side by side teat in daylight. Did a little night comperson and the 853 has way better light gathering and is so far crystal clear. Was looking across my court about 150-200 feet at neighbors house light detail on house was totally clear from edge to edge even at 60 power. Tomorrow I will do some rainy day testing. So far very much like it. Thanks Taz

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back