• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need something similar (1 Viewer)

Raptortrapper

Hello all. Just joined the forum and been doing a little research on some new bins. I currently have some Vortex Sidewinder bins that were made by Eagle Optics. I absolutely LOVE them. They were given to me by my grandfather who is no longer alive. I'd like to keep them at home and "retire" them so to speak strictly to use for backyard birding. Sentimental value is just to great to risk leaving them somewhere. That being said...

My last really good binocular was Swarovski 8.5x42 EL. They were stolen a while back and I just now am financially able to replace them, or so I thought. When I bought my EL's a few years ago, they were roughly $1300. Today I see they are pushing $2000 or more!!!

I know when buying new optics I need to go to the stores and look through them myself, which I will certainly do. I have a pretty jammed schedule, and don't have a lot of time to be considering a bunch of different models. I'm hoping for some suggestions that might save me some time.

I'm very interested in trying Zeiss or Lieca this time around, and am also open to other suggestions that are similar to those EL's I used to have. I just ask that ya keep the suggestions closer to the $1300 side of things if possible rather than the $2000 for EL's again!! Don't know if they are just really that good, or if Swarovski got full of themselves...

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
I'm a newb to really good optics but I just got a pair of Eagle Optics 6x32 binocs on sale for $179 that really have impressed me. I do own some Nikon Monarchs and these were much better imo. I would check out some of Eagles upper end binocs if you want to save money but still have something very nice. I would love to check these out. http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/ranger-ed-8x42-binocular

I really don't have that much experience with alpha binocs so you may want to disregard this post.

I am selling a pair of Nikon HGL DCF 8x42's for £450 if you are interested? These are easily as good as the MK1 EL's or anything of that era.
Regards
Daniel

Hello all. Just joined the forum and been doing a little research on some new bins. I currently have some Vortex Sidewinder bins that were made by Eagle Optics. I absolutely LOVE them. They were given to me by my grandfather who is no longer alive. I'd like to keep them at home and "retire" them so to speak strictly to use for backyard birding. Sentimental value is just to great to risk leaving them somewhere. That being said...

My last really good binocular was Swarovski 8.5x42 EL. They were stolen a while back and I just now am financially able to replace them, or so I thought. When I bought my EL's a few years ago, they were roughly $1300. Today I see they are pushing $2000 or more!!!

I know when buying new optics I need to go to the stores and look through them myself, which I will certainly do. I have a pretty jammed schedule, and don't have a lot of time to be considering a bunch of different models. I'm hoping for some suggestions that might save me some time.

I'm very interested in trying Zeiss or Lieca this time around, and am also open to other suggestions that are similar to those EL's I used to have. I just ask that ya keep the suggestions closer to the $1300 side of things if possible rather than the $2000 for EL's again!! Don't know if they are just really that good, or if Swarovski got full of themselves...

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!!

Jump on this! You might try offering him $900.00 and see what he says. Albinos and other people rank them the best even better than a Swarovision.
Best buy in an alpha right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-8x42-...180754073974?pt=Binocular&hash=item2a15c84976

Missed it. Hit the link and it said it had expired. Thanks though!!!

Dwatson -- not sure what that equals in U.S. dollars???

It was in US dollars. $1K. Some smart person picked them up and they got a great deal! They are the same optically as the EDG II which is selling for $2K. The open frame is more comfortable to hold to on the EDG I.

Try the Meopta Meostar 8x42's. As close as you'll find to those Old EL's you had but only about $800. very nice binocular.

I have Meostar 7x and they are fantastic.

cheers

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to BF!

If you like the old EL, here's one on eBay with a starting bid of $1,300. No one has bid yet.

Also look for refurbs. Eagle Optics had dozens of them from trade-ins on the SV ELs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-EL-8-5x42-Binoculars-/150736187950?pt=Binocular&hash=item231893b22e

Zeiss is coming out with the new Conquest HDs for about $1,100.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/01/13/carl-zeiss-conquest-hd-binoculars/

To get a Leica at that price, you'd have to go back to the Trinnies since Leica doesn't do "second tier". Saw a Trinnie someplace recently for $749.

Also consider Meopta. Similar to Swaros, more like SLCs than ELs. They are coming out with an 8x and 10x42 HD models soon. Cabela's already has the 10x HD model under their label. Also in your price range.

Or if WPing isn't a "must," you can buy an 8x30 EII for around $450, if you can find one! They are only sold overseas. Outstanding view for the $.

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back