• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestbox for suburban yard (1 Viewer)

mreber

United States
I’m just beginning to look into building a nestbox for my yard. I live in eastern Maryland in a residential community. Our yard is only .25 acre. There are wooded areas nearby, but typical landscape in the close area is open with sparse trees and shrubs in the neighborhood. Would anyone be able to recommend a nestbox best suited for this type of environment? Thank you.

I’m just beginning to look into building a nestbox for my yard. I live in eastern Maryland in a residential community. Our yard is only .25 acre. There are wooded areas nearby, but typical landscape in the close area is open with sparse trees and shrubs in the neighborhood. Would anyone be able to recommend a nestbox best suited for this type of environment? Thank you.
Hi,
From a different continent, but I guess the issues are universal.
Making your own box is simple carpentry, but make sure the timber is untreated , and allow for a removable lid so that you can clean it out. Waterproof marine 3/8 inch plywood is ideal. Inside floor area about 16 square inches. Home made boxes are usually made too big. A single entrance hole approx 1.25 inch .
Criteria for position - not in direct sun, not close to your feeders, not close to footpath, at least 6 ft from floor. High up on the shaded gable end of your house is ideal, but allow for maintenance requirements. You will need a secure fixing which allows easy removal.
Best time to erect it is now.
Birds find possible nest sites during winter food foraging.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back