• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 100-400 (3 Viewers)

Regardless of whether it is twist or push pull, any lens that significantly changes length between one setting and another will suck in and push out air due to the change in internal volume, and that air will bring dust in with it.
There may be some benefit in using a non-moving rear element or a plain window at the rear of the lens, with a seal, to keep the sucked in dust away from the sensor, but I don't know if any lenses are like that.

Not a myth. Just go to a dusty country! My Ethiopia photos, pre sensor-cleaning are covered in dust pumped in via this lens. If you don't travel in such conditions you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it.

Cheers,a

Well, I have used mine in SE Alberta, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, South Africa and Australia without any excessive dust problems, certainly nothing that has any effect on the IQ. And these places are pretty much as dusty as they come.

Thomas

Regardless of whether it is twist or push pull, any lens that significantly changes length between one setting and another will suck in and push out air due to the change in internal volume, and that air will bring dust in with it.

Agree 100% - and it may well be that some people tend to pump the push-pull zomm unnecessarily more than they would twist a traditional zoom and thereby shift more air and consequently suck in more dust.
That said, I have never been a fan of the push-pull zoom mechanism (not when I first got the lens, and not now after 8 years of use), and I will wellcome the twist mechanism of the new one, if the quality is otherwise up to standard - and if I can afford it B :)

Thomas

Well, I have used mine in SE Alberta, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, South Africa and Australia without any excessive dust problems, certainly nothing that has any effect on the IQ. And these places are pretty much as dusty as they come.

Thomas

pre automatic sensor cleaning, eg 30D? It's not a problem with IQ now as the sensor on my 7D gets cleaned automatically...

cheers, a

The depth of field is going to be more or less identical as the mkI simply due to the laws of optics (although the fact it takes a 1.4x nicely opens up more options).

I suspect the mk2 being double the price of the mk1 is not going to produce twice the quality of image, closer will always beat money spending, but the 4 stops IS and improved close focus are nice improvements you could do away with a 70-200 for a lot of situations.

Can anyone see: will this new version of the 100-400 benefit from having a 1.4x iii over a 1.4x ii converter in the same way that the Mkii 300, 500 & 600 lenses do?

Can anyone see: will this new version of the 100-400 benefit from having a 1.4x iii over a 1.4x ii converter in the same way that the Mkii 300, 500 & 600 lenses do?

It should do as the new lens should have the extra contacts to improve AF with the mkIII tcs

Rob.

Just to say that I picked up a copy at the weekend and it is a major step up from the old 'pump'. IS is rock solid, and it's very sharp wide open. I was photographing a rat by a pond today at 1/40s to 1/80s at full zoom and getting some decently solid shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back