• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 7X Bins (1 Viewer)

Oops!
oops.jpg

Interesting to see a different miscalculation. Once corrected, nothing impressive in the specs, but 7x fans don't seem to need a wider field, and there aren't a lot of 32s.

no mention of phase coatings ?
It's not really well explained in the description, but it is indeed mentioned in the "cloud of hashtags". Have a look, right under the description and above the pictures of the binoculars:

Captura de Pantalla 2023-04-28 a las 22.08.17.png

It says: Roof prism, Fully-multi coating, New premium level coating, Phase coating, Reflection coating, ED glass, Long eye relief, Water proof, Rubber coat, Nitrogen gas, Helicoid eyepiece ring.

So it seems like a low-middle class (or upper entry level), not unlike the Hawke Endurance ED (price-wise is not that different). The Hawke are nice, but obviously have their limitations, as seems logical given their price point. As Phillip says, maybe there is a renaissance of the 7x, given these 32 and 42 mm Pentax (unlike him, I have absolutely nothing against plastic materials on binoculars; I love the way the Zeiss FL feels and works, and also they way the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 feels and works). However, what I find a pity is that this "small renaissance" is being reserved to the "lower classes" (with the notable exception of the 7x21 Curio from Swarovski). I'd love to see a 500 - 1000 $/€ 7x32, like a Nikon MHG, Leica Trinovid (yes, there is the Retrovid, but it has pocket size binocular eyecups), Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Viper HD, etc. Now, that would be something to behold. With my Hawke 7x32, nice as they are, I can't help the (obvious) feeling that they are no match for the much more expensive Traveller, which is lighter and more compact.
Let's see if there are some positive reports about these. My experience with Pentax has always been very positive: no-nonsense binoculars that perform right and have a reassuringly solid feeling (a bit like Minox).

I use a ZD ED. Its build quality is as good as it gets. The field is clean, sharp and very well corrected for aberrations. A fine birding tool - not seen such quality in anay of the plastic Nikons yet.

I had been hoping for a Zeiss 7x when the SFL series was launched but bought the 8x40 when it became apparent, to me, that Zeiss would probably never put any 7x into their range. Should they do so, contrary to my assumption, my SFL 8x40 will be for sale immediately.

Last edited:
It's not really well explained in the description, but it is indeed mentioned in the "cloud of hashtags". Have a look, right under the description and above the pictures of the binoculars:

View attachment 1506903

It says: Roof prism, Fully-multi coating, New premium level coating, Phase coating, Reflection coating, ED glass, Long eye relief, Water proof, Rubber coat, Nitrogen gas, Helicoid eyepiece ring.

So it seems like a low-middle class (or upper entry level), not unlike the Hawke Endurance ED (price-wise is not that different). The Hawke are nice, but obviously have their limitations, as seems logical given their price point. As Phillip says, maybe there is a renaissance of the 7x, given these 32 and 42 mm Pentax (unlike him, I have absolutely nothing against plastic materials on binoculars; I love the way the Zeiss FL feels and works, and also they way the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 feels and works). However, what I find a pity is that this "small renaissance" is being reserved to the "lower classes" (with the notable exception of the 7x21 Curio from Swarovski). I'd love to see a 500 - 1000 $/€ 7x32, like a Nikon MHG, Leica Trinovid (yes, there is the Retrovid, but it has pocket size binocular eyecups), Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Viper HD, etc. Now, that would be something to behold. With my Hawke 7x32, nice as they are, I can't help the (obvious) feeling that they are no match for the much more expensive Traveller, which is lighter and more compact.
Let's see if there are some positive reports about these. My experience with Pentax has always been very positive: no-nonsense binoculars that perform right and have a reassuringly solid feeling (a bit like Minox).
The spec sheet for the SD series 7x is even more interesting!
ED glass, Nitrogen purged, 131mt @1000mt field, exit pupil 6.1, eye-relief 18mm, relative brightness 37.2, MFD 3 mts.

I use a ZD ED. Its build quality is as good as it gets. The field is clean, sharp and very well corrected for aberrations. A fine birding tool - not seen such quality in anay of the plastic Nikons yet

@ariban
Interesting - I just had a look at the Z-series. I wasn't aware that Pentax sold roof binos in the 1,000€-range - of course those should be better than any plastic Nikon. But AFAIK in the 1k€ price range, even Nikon uses magnesium housings. We're talking Nikon Monarch HG for 1k€. A comparison between those and the Pentax Z-series would certainly be interesting.

Probably another Chinese made diamond back level bino that many will buy for the price point. Maybe we could get lucky and they’d made in the Philippines. Looks a little bit like a Hawke Frontier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back