• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 7x (1 Viewer)

The 7x story continues...

I have been using the Hawkes as my primary birding binocular. They are great in good light but they lack the oomph of my previous Zen-Rays. I also find them a bit small in the hand. But they will do. Then...

I am in my local optics shop collecting my newly repaired Swarovski Curios and I spot some Opticron Discovery 7x42. I had ruled this out as it wasn't ED glass but a chance to actually use it changed my mind. I also got to try it alongside some of the Hawkes. The shopkeeper then told me he had some ex-display Opticrons for £130! So now I have 2 pairs of 7x.

The lessons; if you possibly can get out there and try before you buy then do it. Plus support your local optics shop. If you find yourself in the Lake District then pop into Lambert's in Staveley.

Here are a pair of porros that will blow all those away for $250. The Linet Imperial SWA 7x35 13.5 Degree. Porros rule!

View attachment 1524126
Except for edge correction, brightness, natural color and panning qualities. Yeah after all that , when are you selling those.

Edge correction is very good for 13.5 degrees, brightness is excellent, colors are very neutral, and you don't need to pan much when you have 13.5 degrees in one FOV but when you do panning is very good and there is no RB like the NL or EL.
I’ll repeat , Except for edge correction, brightness, natural color and panning qualities. Yeah after all that when are you selling those. I’ve had these and I stand by what I said , and described them that way to the buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back